Will documents be returned to you by consulate?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ji821

Will documents be returned to you by consulate?

Post by ji821 »

Hi everyone -

I was wondering if the documents I submit to the NYC consulate for a citizenship request will be returned to me if I am using original copies, or do I lose them forever?

Thanks,
Joseph
catshouse2
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Will documents be returned to you by consulate?

Post by catshouse2 »

From everything I have read, you do not receive your documents back. They are sent to the comune of application and kept there. That's why I am ordering 2 of everything. Also, if i should send something off for apostille and it gets lost etc, I'll have a back up.
droe
Rookie
Rookie

Post by droe »

Once the documents are sumitted to the Consulate and your application is approved the documents remain the property of the Italian Government and become part of your file.

If for some reason they reject your claim they will return the documents.

If you want copies you have two choices, scan all final documents into PDF's and store them on a datadrive or CD. Or if you want print them out.

If you have documents that are from out of state, or the country it might now hurt to order two instead of one. For hard to obtain documents haivng a second one is not a bad idea.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

They will, however, return original Naturalization Certificates and documents from Italy.
droe
Rookie
Rookie

Post by droe »

At what Consulate did they return documents from Italy?

Everything that was accepted even from Italy was kept by the NYC Consulate.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

When I submitted my gf's birth certificate from Italy (in NY and again in Newark), I specifically told them I wanted it returned for my family records. They kept the copies. Remember that there is no need for them to keep originals of records that are already registered at the Italian comune.

Tell them you want those Italian records, and you'll likely get them back. Original naturalization certificates will also be returned.
ji821

Post by ji821 »

Thank you everyone for your replies. Also, I have official birth certificates of my grandparents and marriage certificate that I received from the Town Hall, however, they are not entirely printed and all of the names/dates are hand written. They do, however, have the official stamp of the town and are notarized. Will the Consulate accept these documents?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Yes. :)