Random Questions about Dual-Citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Random Questions about Dual-Citizenship

Postby ktpoloni » 21 Jun 2012, 00:03

Hello! I just have a few random questions I am curious about. And thought I would write them all in one place!

I am gathering all the documents to receieve dual-citizenship from our Great Grandfather along with siblings and some cousins. Here are a few questions I have if anyone can help! :)

1. I am not married, but when I do and I change my name in the US to my husbands last name, do I have to change my name in Italy also?

2. Two of my sisters are divorced and have children under the age of 18. Do they have to seek permission from the ex-husband to register their children for dual-citizenship? And also, do the children automatically get Italian Citizenship once my sisters get the dual citizenship through our Great Grandfather?

3. We have located my Great Granfathers petition for Naturalization and we know he was naturalized after my Grandfather's birth, but we cannot find his Naturalization Certificate. Would a copy of the petition be enough for the San Francisco Consulate to verify?

4. I get confused about the women passing on the citizenship. My sibings and I are using my Great Grandfather - Grandfather - Father. But my cousins would be going through my Aunt...Great Grandfather - Grandfather - Mother. She was born after 1948, so that shouldn't be a problem right?

5. Has anyone had success on being able to make an appointment in the San Francisco Consulate where you could do your whole family at once by sharing the documents?

6. Could the San Francisco Consulate share the same files as the LA Consulate so that my cousins could use our documents?

Any answers to any of the questions would be appreciated! Thanks for your help!!
ktpoloni
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Random Questions about Dual-Citizenship

Postby mler » 21 Jun 2012, 04:58

1. In Italy, you will always use your maiden name, married or not.

2. No, but she will need his permission to obtain a passport for them while they are minors. If they are minors, they will get their citizenship recognized when hers is.

3. Are you sure he naturalized? It's possible to get as far as the petition and go no further. Check with NARA. They should have declaration, petition, and oath on record, and will certify copies. That should work for you. A non-certified copy of the document will not be enough.

4. Not a problem.

5. Can't help you with this.

6. Probably, but you'll have to check with them.
mler
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 21 Jun 2012, 14:06

.....Two of my sisters are divorced and have children under the age of 18. Do they have to seek permission from the ex-husband to register their children for dual-citizenship? And also, do the children automatically get Italian Citizenship once my sisters get the dual citizenship through our Great Grandfather?.....

Since your divorced sisters have minor children, they would be able to receive recognition but as regards to receiving their own Italian passports, permission from the ex-husbands would also be required for them as long as their children are minors. Reason being a divorced parent with an Italian passport could remove from the USA forever a minor child without permission from the child's parent.

.......5. Has anyone had success on being able to make an appointment in the San Francisco Consulate where you could do your whole family at once by sharing the documents?........

I doubt any consulate and/or comune would have the time or resources to handle cases like this and especially now during a time of crisis and austerity measures in Italy. Also it would not be fair to the single applicants waiting patiently for an appointment.
jennabet
Master
Master

Postby JJ313 » 21 Jun 2012, 14:53

SF will permit appointments for multiple family members in the same line. The consulates will also share information regarding applicants at different consulates. So in your case you would not have to resubmit documents for GGF and GF, all you would have to do is provide copies and the file number for where the originals were filed. Of course each consulate is fre to make their own determination of the documents and in some cases the documents have been accepted by one consulate and another will object to a name discrepancy or some other defect and require an amendment.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship