Lone Ranger needs help with Checklist

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
cmwcalliano

Lone Ranger needs help with Checklist

Post by cmwcalliano »

I hate asking for help, but becoming an Italian is so important to me. I feel the application time is near, so could anyone verify what I have for me? I employed an agency to help for $300, but they kept saying they couldn't find the documents. I can read and write Italian, but I lack confidence in speaking, and managed to get the documents in Italy by myself. After four years of family illness, unemployment, underemployment, and everything else life throws at you, I think I am so close, but don't want to let myself dream too much.

I am applying at the SFC via jure saguinnis by my GGF-> GF-> M->Me

Vital Documents:
  • GGF - Birth Certificate, Italy
  • GGM - Birth Certificate, Italy
  • GGF&GGM - Marriage Certificate, Italy
  • GF - Birth Certificate, Born in the US (Translated/Apostille Obtained)
  • GM - Birth Certificate, Italy
  • GF&GM - Marriage Certificate, in the US (Translated/Apostille Obtained)
  • Mother - Birth Certificate, in the US (Translated/Apostille Obtained)
  • Father - Birth Certificate, in the US (Translated/Apostille Obtained)
  • Parent's Marriage Certificate, in the US (Translated/Apostille Obtained)
  • Self - Birth Certificate, in the US (Translated/Apostille Obtained)
  • GGF- Death Certificate in the US (Translated/Apostille Obtained)
  • GGM- Death Certificate in the US (Translated/Apostille Obtained)
  • GF- Death Certificate in the US (Translated/Apostille Obtained)
  • GM- Death Certificate in the US (Translated/Apostille Obtained)
Census Records following GF birth: Obtained (Two for 1930, two for 1940. Long Story!!!

Citizenship: GGF Never naturalized, died Italian citizen
  • Letter with fancy seal from No. CA district Court - NOT FOUND (Translated)
  • Letter from NARA saying Search Produced No Record Found (Translated)
  • Letter of Certificate of Nonexistence, fancy notary (Translated)

I am a bit worried if I need further documentation. The NARA letter is on letterhead, but it doesn't have any fancy seal or notarization with it. The courts in No. CA sent me a copy of his Declaration of Intent, but it is just a copy with no certification or anything.

I assume all original passports have been disposed. GGF passed away in 1955 and while GM was a pack rat, upon her death my aunts and uncles threw away everything that had no financial value.

Thank you very much. I have a reapplication interview, after not having enough documentation to prove he never became a citizen, the GGF, and some amendments.

How is my progress looking?

Grazie mille a tutti!
ktpoloni
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Lone Ranger needs help with Checklist

Post by ktpoloni »

It looks like you have very little left to do! From what I see it looks like you have everything almost ready. Just need to double check the naturalization stuff. I am having the same problem with that. I got the county to give me copies of his naturalization records but they said they couldn't certify it...and now everywhere I see it says they have to be certified so I have to go back. I am also going through the San Francisco Consulate, and from what I read, only the documents pertaining to us have to be apostilled and translated? Take a look at this checklist.

http://www.conssanfrancisco.esteri.it/N ... H_2012.pdf
cmwcalliano

Post by cmwcalliano »

Thanks ktpoloni for your response!

Does your SF NARA have any special certifications at all? Mine is simply by the researcher on letterhead, Gloria XXXXX. I am also worried about the lack of certification on the declaration of intention. The last two documents. Perhaps I should contact Sig. Cei again?

BTW, for anyone that reads this, 1940 certified copies only cost $30! It took me months and they arrived last week! Reason being that in 1930 my GGP had a city home and a ranch, so I got both of those but my GGF wasn't listed at the city home, and the ranch address was illegible. In 1940, my GGF was at the ranch and my GF was at the city house, as he was going to school.

I have read their checklist too many times than I care to admit! I will write to Gloria from NARA about the certification.
cmwcalliano

Post by cmwcalliano »

I just talked to Gloria at NARA in California and she said that while she has done a lot of those kind of letter for US/IT citizenship seekers and hasn't had any problems!!!
ktpoloni
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ktpoloni »

When the NARA got back to me all she did was email me, so I just asked her to send me a letter. So that's good to know that other's haven't had a problem with that! It looks like you have a lot of verification that he didn't naturalize! I don't know what else you could do, but I haven't been through the complete process yet so don't take my word as your final answer! But that is awesome, good job. Now cross your fingers that the county will certify my naturalization documents, because they told me the couldn't. Can't be true right?
cmwcalliano

Post by cmwcalliano »

I am writing to the county courts for a certified Declaration of Intention. This is my third attempt, and they keep sending me simple copies. They like to cash my checks though! Prompty, too!!

Sometimes I think it is easier for others that they simply get naturalization records than proving that their ancestors never naturalized.

I am not sure about certifying naturalization documents, but I assume it is like getting the D of I. I called them directly to make sure everything was correct. The first time I called, and they said an amount $10 less than what I just paid. If you need help with the No. Ca. district, let me know.
cmwcalliano

Post by cmwcalliano »

Well, I had my appointment and my application has been accepted. Now must wait for the registration of the Comune before getting my letter.