Naturalization Paper Help!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Naturalization Paper Help!

Postby ktpoloni » 21 Jul 2012, 20:07

My Great Grandfather Naturalized in 1927 after my Grandfather was born in 1922. I had the NARA look for his records, but they couldn't find them and told me that at that time in Utah & Wyoming they were done and kept at the County at the District Court. I went to Carbon County, Utah clerk's office and had them find his records. They didn't even know what naturalization records were. They were in a very old big book down in the vault. They said they couldn't undo the binding to get copies, so they did the best they could to make copies in from the book. They had the Port of Entry paper, Declaration of Intention, and Petition for Naturalization all togehter in the same spot for him. They told me that they couldn't certify the copies. At the time I was at the beginning stages of doing this and wasn't sure on that so I didn't push them further. After reading a lot of other posts, now I am convinced they need to be certified, but how do I tell them that? Why couldn't I get them certified? Or will the Consulate in San Francisco be okay with copies?

I just filled out the search for the records at the USCIS, but after reading some posts. They don't certify them either? Help! Does anyone have any advice for me of how to get some certified copies? Or what to say to the County Clerks.

Also, another problem. There are some name mispellings on the documents. Do you think these are going to be huge issues?

Port of Entry Paper: Antonio Poloni (typed & correct)
Declaration of Intention: Anton Poloni (typed)
Petition for Naturalization: Antonia Poloni (handwritten)

I know that theses documents can't be fixed, but clearly they are clerical mispellings. On the Petition for Naturalization, he has my Grandfather listed with the correct name as his child so maybe that will satisfy the San Fransico Consulate? What do you guys think? I'm not sure what to do at this point. Thanks so much for all your feedback in advance!
ktpoloni
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Naturalization Paper Help!

Postby ktpoloni » 31 Jul 2012, 22:14

Anyone have similar experiences working with local county courts??
ktpoloni
Rookie
Rookie

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship