Cost of Birth Certificates from Italy?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mistertellyman
Rookie
Rookie

Cost of Birth Certificates from Italy?

Post by mistertellyman »

Does anyone know what the cost would be for a birth, marriage or death certificate from a commune in Italy? Also, what would be the cost of mailing same back to the U.S.?

I received an email from one of the communes in which the amount of $.34 (34 cents, U.S.) was mentioned for a certificate, but I suspect it would cost more than than.

Thanks,
Bob
ktpoloni
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Cost of Birth Certificates from Italy?

Post by ktpoloni »

Documents like birth certificates in Italy are free. If you send by mail, include a self addressed envelope. From what I have read, they can't use US stamps so you can include a International Reply Coupon:

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/pro ... ernational

Most of what I have read is when you send money or these copuons they often send them back, but is curteous to do.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Historical certificates are rarely charged for but 26 euro cents (34 cents) is a normal charge for a certificate at the Comune anagrafe. Cost of mailing to America is 1,60 euro. Coupons and bank drafts are a waste of time. They cost more to cash in time and money than they are worth which is why they send them back. Better to send 5 euro in cash and an addressed envelope (that way you are sure it will be addressed properly).
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
mistertellyman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mistertellyman »

Thanks so much for the input! Since I am pursuing dual citizenship and the documents I seek must have an apostille (official seal), will the certificates automatically come that way or should I specifically ask for the apostille?

Thanks again for helping this newbie out!

Bob
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

I am not sure if the Comune's official stamp and signature will be enough. The last time I had to get an apostille stamp on a certificate I had to take it to Frosinone where they authenticated the signature. I can only assume that is what an apostille is.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
roobyred
Veteran
Veteran

Post by roobyred »

I sent requests to both Casacalenda and Montedoro by fax and snail mail. I offered to pay whatever they wanted. Neither one charged me a dime and the turnaround time was reasonable. Good luck! Roberta
mistertellyman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mistertellyman »

Roberta,
Did you send your snail mail request via certified mail? That's what I intend to do just so I know it gets delivered. Here's hoping that I hear back positively from the Comnune di Gaeta!

Blessings,
Bob
roobyred
Veteran
Veteran

Post by roobyred »

No. Just regular mail. I really don't think you will have any problem!
Italia1963
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Italia1963 »

You do not need an Apostille for Italian documents
roobyred
Veteran
Veteran

Post by roobyred »

Bob, one thing to remember...most Italians are on holiday during the month of August so it may just take longer to get your certificates.
Roberta
mistertellyman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mistertellyman »

I appreciate everyone's input. I actually sent two letters in the past couple of years and heard nothing. That's why I wanted to send something certified. I think I'll wait until September and send another letter.

Grazie, all!