Finally Found GGF!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Finally Found GGF!

Postby catshouse2 » 18 Aug 2012, 15:35

I finally found (who I believe to be) my GGF in the 1940 census-there are 2 bits of info I need now and have exhausted my research skills. The census states he was naturalized in 1905 and he was 70 in 1940 in NY, but can find no record of death. I have spent hours searching ancestry, familysearch, findagrave, genealogybank, heritagequest, italiangen, stevemorse, google to name a few.

Can anyone suggest other avenues to search for death record- I would think that at 70 living in NY the likelyhood that he moved elsewhere at this stage of his life would be slim- so I would guess he probably passed in NY. I have been checking the whole country but wondered if he went back to Italy- seems unlikely to me.

or naturalization info?

I found a couple of entries in ancestry for naturalization but all they had was volume and page- so no way that I know of to tell if it is the right man.

Any suggestions would be helpful-

Thanks!
catshouse2
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Finally Found GGF!

Postby Italia1963 » 19 Aug 2012, 01:21

With Italian Gen web page, you have to try different spellings of the surname - think of all the different ways it could have been spelled. Although it is possible that your GGF was still alive past 1948 (the date the NYC death records are available to the public). Also, you may want to write to the Catholic Churches and cemeteries in the areas that he lived to see if they have any records.
Im not sure if this would work, but you may want to speak with the NYC Dept. of Health to check the records after 1948. For instance, I was trying to get my father's birth certificate amended to have his father's name spelled correctly. What they did for me, was ask for the name of all my father's siblings and their dates of birth and they said they would look at their birth certificates to see what name was on their certificate. Of course, they couldnt let me see the records of my aunts and uncles, but they were allowed to search the records. So maybe if you tell them your problem, they may at least be able to check their records and give you some direction.
Italia1963
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Finally Found GGF!

Postby Tessa78 » 19 Aug 2012, 02:57

You may want to try searching the Social Security Death Index...
http://genealogy.about.com/od/vital_records/a/ssdi.htm

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship