What can I expect at my consulate meeting in Philadelphia

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

What can I expect at my consulate meeting in Philadelphia

Postby Marchese49 » 18 Aug 2012, 16:40

I have all my paperwork in order and I am scheduled to meet with the Italian consultate in Philadelphia in October. I am just wondering what to expect at this meeting. After my paperwork is unveiled what is the process afterward? In other words, if my paperwork is correct what happens from that point onward and how long after the meeting is Italian citizenship granted? Also, my wife is interested in obtaining italian citizenship also so should she accompany me to the meeting? Thanks, Marchese49
Marchese49

Re: What can I expect at my consulate meeting in Philadelphi

Postby Agrigentonio » 20 Aug 2012, 20:37

Sorry I can't answer your question as my appointment is in November, but I would like to know if you found another way to communicate with the consulate in Philadelphia other than through the ipsitaly.net service that schedules appointments.

I need to ask some questions regarding my GF's birth certificate as well as some other documents, and I'd rather deal directly with the consulate.

Thanks,

Anthony
Agrigentonio

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 22 Aug 2012, 22:02

Ciao Marchese49,

I might be able to shed some light on this for you. I had my appointment in Philadelphia in Jan. 2012.

It's a pretty simple and straightforward process. I'd recommend coming early as appointments are on a first-come, first-serve basis(although they will get to everyone before closing. If you come a little later, like I did, you will have to wait for a couple hours for your turn. Once you get called back, you sit with Lia (who is the nicest lady you could imagine) and she will ask you to get out your documents. She will ask for your Italian born ancestor first and look over the documents to make sure everything is in order and then pass onto the next generation until she reaches you and (if you have them) your kids. It is very important to make sure the Last Names are all the same with no misspellings, Anglicizations or spelling variations. Several people with appointments on the same day I was there, had to go home and have their documents amended because of problems in the last names of their ancestors. First and Middle Names are less important. My GGF, for example, went by several variations of "Luigi/Louis" for his middle name on his documents and this was not a problem at all. After presenting your documents, Lia will tell you if everything is in order. If so, she will send the docs to the city where your ancestors were from and they will process your application and send you notice of your approval. If something is missing, Lia will tell you what you need to do to fix your application. You then will mail in whatever changes or extra documents you needed. I, for example, had gotten my father and grandfather to sign that they had never renounced their citizenship, but had forgotten to have it notarized. Lia asked me to send in copies of their driver licenses to verify their signatures.

Overall, it is a very professional and friendly atmosphere and nothing you should stress out about. Just try to make sure you have everything in order and the whole process will be very easy.

As for your wife. If she is planning on applying through marriage, this will have to be done on a separate visit and has it's own process. My wife, for example, couldn't apply with me and is waiting for the next time we head to Philly to apply.

Hope that helps!

Ciao.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 22 Aug 2012, 22:09

Ciao Agregentonio,

In my experience, you can only deal with IPS Italy. I had some communication with the consul,although I can't find his email address on the website anymore.

You might try asking your question on these boards, there are some very knowledgeable posters on here who should be able to help you out.

Ciao.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship