Comunes Setting Rules for Citizenship Apps

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jennabet
Master
Master

Re: Comunes Setting Rules for Citizenship Apps

Post by jennabet »

.....The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) is administered by DHS and enables eligible citizens or nationals of designated countries to travel to the United States for tourism or business for stays of 90 days or less without first obtaining a visa
Beginning September 8, 2010, there is a fee required by the Travel Promotion Act of 2009 (Section 9 of the United States Capitol Police Administrative Technical Corrections Act of 2009, Pub. L. No. 111-145). The fee is comprised of two parts: Processing Charge -- All applicants requesting an electronic travel authorization are charged for the processing of the application. The fee is $4.00.
Authorization charge -- If your application is approved and you receive authorization to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program, an additional $10.00 will be charged to your credit card. If your electronic travel authorization is denied, you are only charged for the processing of your application.....

An Italian passport holder who also holds a passport from Brazil, for example, would not be allowed to use the Visa Waiver program. I think may be who italysearcher was referring to.

.....Right now there are several US Consulates that will not issue a passport to one recognized via JS until they are in possession of their Italian Passport. Some Consulates will register the person in A.I.R.E at the time of recognizaiton and other will send an application and expect it to be completed and returned to be registered......

Again, if you have not held residency in Italy for at least one year and cannot apply through a Comune, you would need to follow the rules of your consulate.

.....I guess if one wishes to become a citizen and needs to fulfill the requirements then you need to figure out how to acquire and provide the necessary documents under your statement. Saying the Comune does not have to provide any services to non residents is a little insane. They hold the legal documents required to be recognized and if we follow your thinking you would not have gotten through the process as they did not have to provide proof of your right to be recognized. Eleven years ago you did not have residency and were not paying taxes were you?......

Most Comunes are pretty good about providing requestors with ancestral documents, however, these documents are not always requested to apply for Italian citizenship and just because they have been provided does not mean the Comune is going to process the citizenship application of a non resident when the non resident has a consulate to do the work.

.....Again if you paid attention you would have picked up I am! I have dual status as do you.....

I never assume that someone knows I'm an Italian citizen, therefore I usually mention it. I don't see you mentioning it anywhere before now so how would I have assumed it?

.....The purpose of both the Consulates and the Comunes is to provide services to its citizens. Where one pays taxes does not release the Coumne from not providing services. So if you move from Rome to Milan and need documents from Rome since you no longer pay taxes in that comune I guess you are just out of luck.....

If you moved from Rome to Milano, you would still be paying taxes in Italy so NO, you would not be out of luck. However, a non-citizen who has never held residence in any Comune in Italy should not require service from that Comune. That's why he has a consulate. I would not expect my own Comune to provide service to any non-citizen, non resident, other than providing ancestral vital records upon request.

QUOTE:
You can move over to your comune and apply for citizenship after you have lived there and paid taxes for one year. If not, you can wait for an appointment at your consulate and follow their rules. I don't see any other options.
-----------------
Spoken like an true American

The options are clear and spelled out in several directives. Don't like the process then effect change but watch what you wish for.

With that I shall sit back and just come to the conclusion that your views are yours and leave it at that.droe

Private message
droe
Rookie
Rookie

Post by droe »

Should have read:

Right now there are several US Consulates that will not issue a passport to one recognized via JS until they are in possession of their Italian BIRTH CERTIFICATE. Some Consulates will register the person in A.I.R.E at the time of recognizaiton and other will send an application and expect it to be completed and returned to be registered.
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

jennabet wrote:You can move over to your comune and apply for citizenship after you have lived there and paid taxes for one year. If not, you can wait for an appointment at your consulate and follow their rules. I don't see any other options.
Please provide references to a change in regulations, the directive that states that all comuni are now following this rule or at least a link to the published article that you read where residency of one year is required before applying for citizenship. (Reading Italian is not a problem.)

Just because this may have been what one/a few/several comuni required, doesn't mean that it is a requirement by ALL comuni.
droe
Rookie
Rookie

Post by droe »

I do not believe that there as been a change in the regulations or any new directives that have been published on the residency for SJ when applied for in Italy.

It seems that the orginal poster has a problem with anyone using the services of the comune that are not residents. Or in a later post where it comes down to anyone that does not pay taxes in Italy should not have any dealings with a comune.

They seem far enough removed from the current Consulate system and the way they operate in terms of JS.

As to the Comune that is stating the change it might be nothing more than them not understanding the directives and going a tad off the beaten path on their own.

As far as I can tell this has not been mentioned anywhere else on boards related to the process. Plus when asked for a reference to read on the matter nothing seems to be comoing.
digatta

Post by digatta »

i'm still not clear after reading the entire thread what is being discussed :D

how can one meet a residency requirement of one year in italy *before* getting their citizenship? don't you need italian citizenship before you can reside in italy (as a US citizen) for more than 180 days a year (90 days per 6 month period) according to current US visa restrictions?

what am i missing?

or are you talking about being a resident in a *US* consulate jurisdiction for a year? if so, i'm planning on applying for an appointment to a consulate pretty soon. i've lived at the same address for 10 years but am planning to travel around the world for a year which is likely to coincide between the time i apply for an appointment and actually get one and i'm wondering how i should deal with this since i might not have an address once i leave!??