Citizenship thru Marriage - Giuramento - Italian Consulate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
1 post • Page 1 of 1

Citizenship thru Marriage - Giuramento - Italian Consulate

Postby mikedc » 03 Sep 2012, 19:00

Greetings!

I'm excited to report, that after years of waiting, my application for citizenship has been approved:

"il decreto di concessione è stato firmato; sarà contattato dalla Prefettura per la notifica del provvedimento e dopo la notifica dovrà recarsi presso il Comune di residenza per il giuramento. Se risiede all'estero sarà contattato dall'Autorità consolare competente."

I am awaiting notification from the Washington, DC consulate. On the very sad side, my wife will be away for an unknown period of time taking care of my mother-in-law who has been recently diagnosed with terminal cancer.

In my research, I read in some places where the spouse must be present for the Giuramento and in other places where he/she does not. My wife provided me with self-certified declarations of "Existence of Life" and "Validity of Marriage" and we also requested updated certificates of our Marriage in the US and the registration of that Marriage in Rome. We are hoping these will satisfy the consulate in her absence.

If the Consulate insists on the presence of my spouse for the Giuramento, how shall I respond?

I read on other postings that people have made demands on the Consulate invoking the 1992 and 2009 laws that fail to state neither here nor their re: the presence of the spouse at the Giuramento. I do not want to be confrontational with the consulate, but I also don't think its reasonable to ask my wife to fly back from Brazil (where my mother-in-law lives) for the swearing in.

Any and all advice is welcome!

Thank you in advance
mikedc
Rookie
Rookie

1 post • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship