1948 rule vs category n. 5

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
digatta

1948 rule vs category n. 5

Postby digatta » 04 Sep 2012, 21:03

I thought i understood the rules clearly for citizenship via JS and am positive that i am eligible under category n. 5 (basically through my GGF who emigrated from italy so it looks like GGF - GF - F - me )

i read this on the consulate instructions today though in a separate section from the rules for all the categories:

A person born before 01/01/1948 can claim Italian citizenship only from his/her father, who was not a naturalized citizen of another country before his child’s birth.

my GF was born before 1948 and before my GGF naturalized. i thought that was all i needed to do to obtain JS through my F (my GF's son).

BUT my F was also born before 1948 as well. and by the time he's born my GF is a naturalized citizen which sort of contradicts the rule quoted above. the rule quoted above however contradicts the rules laid out in cat n. 5!

i think i'm just reading more into this than is really there but the two do seem to contradict themselves.

any thoughts from people out there?

thx

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”