1920 Ellis Island Vincenzo and Matilde Lo Bianco on Olympic

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
120camden
Rookie
Rookie

Re: 1920 Ellis Island Vincenzo and Matilde Lo Bianco on Olym

Post by 120camden »

thank you. looks like i need to look in argentina and try and find some record of matilda since she lived there so long.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

yes, maybe you can search here the baptism of Matilda:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/ima ... %3D1972912
Bautismos 1890-1894

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
120camden
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 120camden »

Suanj,
Despite all this information that is available on the passport application, I cannot find a marriage certificate of information on ancestory.com. You supplied me with names, dates, places, etc. Can you give me a best guess about why no information is available?
Thank you, Cindy
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, or, maybe, you no read all data on the passports, or maybe I no explained very well; please to read the Matilde passport, full reading: "Applicant, who is now going to United States has no applied for a Department Passport" and more: "that he is now residing in Paris, France for the purpose of matrimony. That I am the wife of person described in said certificate; that I never had a passport; my husband is bearer of passport No. 9811 issued by Department of State.. etc"

Matilde was resident in France;
the Matilde passport was relayed by US Embassy in Paris, France. Vincenzo arrived in France to purpose of marriage IN FRANCE.

VINCENZO AND MATILDE MARRIED IN FRANCE and after the marriage Vincenzo with Matilde returning in USA.
The Matilde passport is dated 9th aug 1920.
I believe they married in Choisy-le-Roy before of 9th aug 1920.

Becoming US citizen by marriage, Matilde request the emegency passport in US Embassy Paris, France, and with her US passport travelled with Vincenzo in USA.
Regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
120camden
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 120camden »

Interesting information. I posted on on a french forum I found online through ancestry.com. "marriage certificate for 1920 grandmother".

I got a response that about an Armand Joseph Lagneau, living with his father in Choisy, born 1863, in Belgium, married in 1884 to Rosalie P. Thiriot. They had a son, Armand born 1888.

The obituary for Armand Lagneau (kokomo, IN husband to Jeanne) states there was a son, Armand, living in South America.

So, this may be the correct Armand Lagneau, Sr. And the French connection. Maybe Armand,Sr and Armand, Jr went to Argentina and that is where he met Jeanne Tosi, who might have emmigrated from Italy.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

so your Armand sr was widow when married at Giovanna Tosi... it is interesting.. surely the infos by french forum are ok...
regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
120camden
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 120camden »

Looking for help in trying to find record of Armand Lagneau, b 1863 and married to Rosalie Philipine Cherot in 1884 that SHE died. can find other such as what I posted earlier.
Just putting that information on Ancestry.com does not get me death or divorce information. I don;t think Armand and Rosalie would move to Italy so Armand maybe met Giovannia/Jeanne Tosi in Buenos Aires?? He would have had to taken Armand Jr. over.

Thanks,cindy
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I no found a Armand Lagneau (sr or jr) in CEMLA database http://www.cemla.com/busqueda.php
I know not when Armand sr and Giovanna married and where.... it is a puzzle...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
120camden
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 120camden »

Suanj
Is it possible to locate US Citizenship records? Maybe trying to trace from there birth information, etc on Jean Lagneau. Just a thought.
Obituary for Jean lists "She became a naturalized citizen January 27, 1939 a day that was one of the proudest of her life"

Thanks
120camden
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 120camden »

or what about passport applications from the US after 1925? Jeanne Lagneau travelled to Buenos Aires from the US in 1929 taking her grandson (from Mathile and Vincenzo Lo Bianco)...Armando Giovanni Sciortino. He was adopted in 1923 by Sam Sciortino,

Armand John Sciortino has a record of returning from Buenos Aires Sept 1929 with his grandman.
We do have a passport photo of Armand and he looks 5-6. He was born 9/7/1921.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

hi, no passports after 1925 on ancestry.com..
abtthe US citizenship I no found because no all database are on ancestry.com

however by 1920 ship's manifest of Giovanna , it is possible to see the markings abt US citizenship:
9-12580 4/16/36
( 9: District Number;
INS Naturalization Offices= Cincinnati, OH;
District Boundaries & Jurisdiction: Southeast IN, KY, Southern OH, Western WV)
12580 ( application number)
4/16/36( 16 apr 1936) the verified date for US citizenship process

maybe this markings can be helpful..
regards,

suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
120camden
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 120camden »

thank you. Will follow up from there.
120camden
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 120camden »

Everyone who has helped me with this search, I have some new information that was just uncovered!!!!

Someone on an Argentina Forum searched the 1895 census records and found:
Armand Laino (which they say would have phonetically sounded like Lagneau). Also, Rosalie Laino (his first wife who he married in France in 1884), a son Armand, born in Choisy France, 1886. AND they have found Matilde Laino!!
So this seems to mean that Matilde is the daughter of Rosalie, not Jeanne Tosi Lagneau.
I have always wondered i pictures why Matilde did not look anything like her "italian mother". Because her mother was French!

This is just so exciting and I cannot say enough for the research that you have all helped me with. Now I just need to see if I can find a death record of Rosalie Laino in Buenos Aires and a marriage record of Armand and Jeanne. And the story will be complete and I can type up all the information for my children! I guess some people upstairs must have had a hand in all this too, guiding me to all you professionals.