Italian Citizenship Via Maternal Grandmother

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
erickuribe

Italian Citizenship Via Maternal Grandmother

Post by erickuribe »

Hello. I am interested in acquiring Italian citizenship and have found contradicting information online, so I'm wondering if anyone here can help me.

My maternal grandmother was born in Sicily in 1933. She eventually moved to the USA and married my grandfather (he was born in the US but his parents were also born in Italy). Once they married they had four children, one of whom was my mother.

My mother has never obtained her Italian citizenship and now I'm wondering if it's too late for me to do so. I know that she would have to have been born BEFORE my grandmother became a US citizen. I'm wondering if my grandmother's marriage to a US citizen would have caused my mother to lose her citizenship opportunity. Does anybody here have recent experiences with a similar situation? Thanks in advance for your help!
mler
Master
Master

Re: Italian Citizenship Via Maternal Grandmother

Post by mler »

No, your grandmother did not lose her Italian citizenship when she married an American. As long as your mother was born before your gm naturalized (and after 1948), she was born an Italian citizen as were you.

If the naturalization dates do not work, check your grandfather's line. You may also qualify through him.

It is definitely not too late.
erickuribe

Post by erickuribe »

Thank you!
Steverino3006
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steverino3006 »

Have you ruled out the possibility of having your Italian citizenship recognized based on your grandfather (he was born in the US but his parents were also born in Italy)?