Error on Pennsylvania Birth Record - Worth Fixing?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
seand1990

Error on Pennsylvania Birth Record - Worth Fixing?

Post by seand1990 »

Hello all,

I'm very glad to have discovered these forums. They're a veritable wealth of knowledge for those of us who have many questions. I'm writing because I have a doubt regarding my grandmother's Pennsylvania Birth Certificate. (I should mention, I'm going GGF>GM>F and I'll be submitting my application to the Italian Consulate in Los Angeles.)

On my grandmother's Birth Certificate, her Italian father's name is anglicized as "Joseph Buscemi" rather than "Giuseppe Buscemi," and her mother's name is misspelled by one letter ("Angelina Saporita" instead of "Angelina Saporito"). It is my understanding that unless you're going through the NY Consulate, anglicizations of first names are generally accepted and don't necessarily warrant an amendment to the original record. At least I certainly hope this is the case, as Pennsylvania requires a court order to make even minor changes to original records.

In the case of the misspelling of my grandmother's mother's name, do you think an amendment to the original record is necessary? Her mother was born in Italy, but doesn't provide the "direct line" through which we qualify for dual citizenship, so I'm not sure if the minor spelling error will even fall into consideration.

Any input would be much appreciated!

Sean
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Error on Pennsylvania Birth Record - Worth Fixing?

Post by KarenChristino »

I can only comment on the non-direct line GGM -- in which case I don't think you need to worry about it. In NY, where it does appear they are stricter than in some places, they did NOT ask me to make the change for my non-direct GM and only requested a photocopy of her birth record (no apostille or translation needed). The Consulate official noted the fact that her last name appeared with an -o on her birth record but with an -i everywhere else. But that was all that was said and he accepted the document.

Karen
JCFV

Re: Error on Pennsylvania Birth Record - Worth Fixing?

Post by JCFV »

Hello-This is the link to the Italian Consulate-Los Angeles website regarding citizenship : http://www.conslosangeles.esteri.it/Con ... escent.htm ** Please note: at the bottom of the page is a note regarding discrepancies in documents : Quote" . DISCREPANCIES:
Check all documents word by word to make sure that there are no discrepancies or changes in the names, last names, dates and places of birth. **If there are discrepancies In first and last names,- please contact this Office before presenting your application.- If there are major discrepancies in dates and ages, you must have certificates amended. All variations or errors must be corrected with an official "affidavit to amend a record" to be requested from the Vital Statistics Office that issued the document or with another appropriate official document. Please have a list of all the discrepancies that you found in the documents. This is required for the Citizenship Office to expedite your request. "-

And- This is the contact information for the Italian Consulate in Los Angeles if you feel you'd like to double check with them on this
: http://www.conslosangeles.esteri.it/Con ... o/La_sede/
JCFV

Post by JCFV »