Passenger arrivals into Boston; some in transit to Canada

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Passenger arrivals into Boston; some in transit to Canada

Postby Essgee » 12 Feb 2005, 16:04

Just to let you know, the Boston Passenger Arrivals are now complete and available for search at Ancestry.com. These include passengers from 1890 to 1943.

In the records there are many Italians listed that were in transit to Montreal or Ontario. Worth checking out if you have Canadian ancestors.

Many records cover two pages so don't forget to go forward to the next pages. These are very informative...

It is a paid-for subscription, but I am sure if you want someone to check for you about a specific individual in the index, many will be glad to help.
Essgee
Master
Master

Re: Passenger arrivals into Boston; some in transit to Canad

Postby mfjp » 12 Feb 2005, 16:39

Hi Essgee,

I found my Greatgrandfather's records from the Boston Arrivals (who was "in transit") just recently.... like minutes ago... after reading your post... :P

This means so much to me. He was killed in a mining accident Feb 11 1911... Both my cousin and I researched him together. Newspaper clippings, coroner reports, court records, mining annual reports etc...

This manifest really helps complete the research.. thank you!!!

I knew these Boston manifests were added a few days ago... but never thought he would even be traveling through that area!!! I did find records from here to post for others researching... but just never thought to look for my own...

I spent countless hours looking through Ellis manifests... I did find a record that said "In Transit" so I knew his trip was far from over... and was heading to Canada. I never thought that he would board another ship either. I just assumed he would be taking a train... from New York... but it just never made any sense.

I did speak to a representative at Ancestry and told them that we could also use the Louisiana manifests. The manifests that I am talking about are not available by subscription either..(1902-1907?) and are only viewable on Family History film...

In time...

Thank you Essgee... I found him!!! now to call my cousin...

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 14 Feb 2005, 19:43

That is great!!!

I know how you feel...I had been trying to track my grandfather back and been waiting for the dates to show for Boston ever since they started to list this port. I could not believe it when I finally saw them... It had the married names of sisters....and that is impossible to find in England unless you have a clue. I am elated.

You are right about New Orleans...it would be a wonderful set of info because so many Italians arrived between 1890 and 1910...and it would fill in the blanks. I was trying to find arrivals to New Orleans for 1904 just this morning and it was too soon for the 1905-1910 indexes.

The amount of information coming on line is astounding. When I started about 7 years ago on line, there was little available, but the amount has expanded exponetially since then... In 10 years, you will place your relative's name in a search engine and it will all pop out, completed... Oh well, you can hope, I guess.

Have a good one
Essgee
Master
Master

Postby acamma » 14 Feb 2005, 23:28

Could you please list the site you are addressing for the Boston arrivals, for some reason I can not find on the forum where you are listing the site that anyone else could use if necessary. Thank you.
Anthony Philip Camma
acamma
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mfjp » 15 Feb 2005, 01:02

You need a paid subscription to Ancestry.com... - immigration records... to have access to the Boston manifests.

If doesn't hurt to try the free trial, but you need a credit card #..

If you do use the free trial, and wish not to subscribe.... make sure you cancel early enough, otherwise they will bill you... make sure you get a confirmation #...when you cancel.

I subscribed... and they billed me twice... :evil: but... it was corrected...

www.ancestry.com

Essgee... I also found another set of great grandparents, and much more... and I tell you, it is exciting.... manifests are my passion... I really understand how important it is for people to have the manifest of their ancestor.

acamma, if you need a Boston manifest look-up please mention the names.

Happy Valentines Day to All,
mfjp :P
mfjp
Master
Master

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship