NYC Delayed Birth

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
MiaCarelli

NYC Delayed Birth

Post by MiaCarelli »

We had our second New York City appointment last month (GGF-GF-F-me). All of our papers were accepted. At our first appointment over a year ago, the Consulate requested a Court Order proving my GF’s birth and also a birth certificate from Vital Records. We got the Court Order however NYC would NOT issue the birth record and they are now appealing the case since they say the judge cannot rule to create a delayed birth record for a deceased person, as it’s against the City Rules.

The Consulate official questioned me about this but didn’t insist on the B.C. He accepted a baptism record with apostille but gave me the translation back, so seemed to be treating this as a lesser document (like the non-direct line BCs they requested which did not need apostille or translation). I also gave him a letter from NYS saying that it’s against NY State’s rules as well. We have just heard from the Consulate and were already granted citizenship!

The City has 6 months to file their papers for the appeal. The first case was expensive and time consuming. At this point we don’t need to reply, but I guess they’d find against us if we don’t respond at all, and I don’t like the idea of that. They say that no one has done this in NYC before – can that be true? Has anyone done it in NY State? Any thoughts or insights?

Thank you.
Mia*