Eligible though maternal grandfather?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
christinalynn

Eligible though maternal grandfather?

Post by christinalynn »

Hi all

I'm a bit confused on something. Can I get citizenship through my maternal grandfather if my mom was born after 48?

My maternal grandfather was born in the US to two Italian citizens and my mom was born in 45. Can she pass on to me?

Also, my maternal grandmother was born an Italian citizen to two Italian parents (but I assume I cannot get it from her line).

Thanks for any help on this--I've gotten some conflicting information.
mler
Master
Master

Re: Eligible though maternal grandfather?

Post by mler »

You state that your mom was born after 1948. If so, she could qualify through either her mother or her father. You later state that your mom was born in 1945. If that is the case, she can only qualify through her father. Which date is correct?

Note that this assumes that her parent was an Italian citizen at the time of her birth. And yes, if your mother qualifies, you do too.
christinalynn

Post by christinalynn »

Hi

Thanks so much for replying to me!
Apologies, I see that I mis-wrote my email. My mom was born in 1945. So, she can qualify through her father and pass along to me then, correct?
Although I don't think her father was an Italian citizen at the time of her birth...--but he didn't renounce his Italian citizenship as far as I can tell.
My maternal great-grandfather naturalized when my grandfather was about 9 years old. My grandfather wasn't mentioned in the naturalization form, so I don't believe he naturalized along with him. My grandfather was born in the US to parents that were both Italian citizens at the time of his birth. His mother never naturalized.

Any ideas?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Since your gf was born in the US and was nine years old when his father naturalized, he was born an Italian citizen and retained that citizenship throughout his life. Even had he been listed on his father's petition, as a native born American, he could not and did not naturalize with his dad. Your mom was also born an Italian citizen as were you.

You and your mom will need to trace the citizenship line from your ggf to you to have your Italian citizenship recognized. The website of your local consulate will provide specific details. Since it seems you have your ggf's naturalization papers, yours should be a rather straightforward application (assuming few or no discrepancies on the documents).
christinalynn

Post by christinalynn »

Hi

Wow, thanks so much. What a relief. I'm hoping it is straightforward. I'm having trouble finding their Italian birth certificates, as I can't find they town they are from on the map (listed as Trivina on my grandfather's birth certificate).

Thanks again!