adult children recognized if citizenship through GGF?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
lisahickey
Rookie
Rookie

adult children recognized if citizenship through GGF?

Post by lisahickey »

I'm helping my cousin to get citizenship - he is eligible through his GGF-GF-M, but there are a lot of discrepancies in documents and they are all from CT, which is extremely rigid about changing things. I have found out that his mother is eligible through GGF-GF-M on the other side, but I am not clear about whether or not my cousin would then be able to claim citizenship through his mother, as he is an adult. Does anyone know? Thanks as always for your help.
mler
Master
Master

Re: adult children recognized if citizenship through GGF?

Post by mler »

I'm a bit unclear on the line. Does ggf gf m refer to his mother or to him?

If it's his mother's line, the proper designation would be gggf, ggf, gm, m, applicant. In that case the line works if the mother was born in 1948 or later (assuming no loss of citizenship that ended the line) .

If this is his line (ggf, gf, m, applicant), he would qualify if HE was born in 1948 or later.
lisahickey
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lisahickey »

yes, on one side the line would be gggf-ggf-gm-m (born 1953) - applicant (over 18). i just wasn't sure if he could go as far back as gggf, and if so, if his mother has to do it first for him to be eligible.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Yes, he can go back to a gggf. The only thing you may have to check is the date the gggf naturalized (if he indeed naturalized). Naturalization before 1912 causes problems at many consulates.

If he and his mom reside within the jurisdiction of the same consulate, they can apply together. If Mom elects not to apply, that's ok too.