Proof of NON Naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Proof of NON Naturalization

Postby kamag » 17 Feb 2005, 16:25

I am starting to collect documents for dual citizenship. One of the biggest hurdles I think I am going to have to find is proof that my great grandparents DIDN'T loose their Italian citizenship.

I know the birth, death and marriage dates; and in a search found out that my great grandfather signed in for the draft and checked the box marked "ALIEN DECLARANT" on 12 September 1918 (and then died 2 months later in Nov 1918). My grandfather (who I will aquire citizenship thru) was born in 1915 so that should make it clearly ok.

My question is, is the Draft Card from WWI proof enough for the consulate that he remained Italian? If so, how and where do I get a legal copy w/ an apositile on it?

He immigrated in 1910 (so missed the 1910 census) and both greatgrandparents died of the flu in Nov 1918 (before the 1920 census).

Any suggestions would be appreciated!! thanks
kamag

Re: Proof of NON Naturalization

Postby VaDeb » 17 Feb 2005, 20:13

Hi,

This has been covered on other posts. Search and read and you will get some ideas on the subject.

One thing to remeber is that natualizations used to take place in a variety of local, county, state and federal courts and there was not central point of recording the naturalizations. This changed in 1906. Since then INS kept a record of all naturalizations. I have written to INS (now called US Citizens and Immigration Service) and filed a Freedom of Information reguest and gotten a copy of all information they had on my immigrant ancestor. Perhaps you could do the same, but also request they certify that they have no record of the naturalization. I seem to remember reading they have a special form to request this and it does have a charge. The FOIA request is free. They are not quick, so be patient.

Here is a link to explore USCIS
http://uscis.gov/graphics/
Let us know how it works out.
Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship