US divorce recognized by Italian Comune?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
lisahickey
Rookie
Rookie

US divorce recognized by Italian Comune?

Post by lisahickey »

Hi - one of the people in my family whom I'm helping with their paperwork was married the 1st time in Naples (to another US citizen). They were divorced in the States and she subsequently remarried and had a child. The Italian consulate in NYC has given us paperwork in Italian that seems to indicate that we need to get Naples to recognize her divorce (I'm having it translated but that is what the general gist of it seems to be). Has anyone dealt with this before? Or have any advice about the best way to get speedy results from Naples? I am a bit worried that dealing with Naples will be complicated or slow, as it's so large. Our appointment is in July so I need to move forward relatively quickly.

Thanks in advance!
mler
Master
Master

Re: US divorce recognized by Italian Comune?

Post by mler »

I haven't dealt with your particular issue, but I have dealt with Naples; and I found them to be quite responsive. I always communicated with them by snail mail, and I wrote in Italian, but I don't know if that makes a difference :)