Is forswearing of allegiance

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Victorjay

Is forswearing of allegiance

Post by Victorjay »

Hello everyone, I've been lurking for a while, first post. Great site.Is forswearing of allegiance to the reigning foreign sovereign, as stated in the Naturalization declaration for the USA in the 1920's , the same as renouncing there citizenship to Italy? One of my grandfathers fought in WW1 and the other came over and was naturalized through the 5 year stay. I am still researching this but would like to know if the route to dual citizenship is closed. Thanks!
mler
Master
Master

Re: Is forswearing of allegiance

Post by mler »

Naturalizing was not technically renunciation of Italian citizenship BUT before 1992, the act of naturalizing caused the loss of Italian citizenship.

That your grandfathers naturalized, however, does not necessarily mean that the door is closed. If one or both did so after your parent was born, the Italian line remains intact. If this is not the case, you would still be eligible by residing in Italy for three years.
Victorjay

Post by Victorjay »

Thanks for the reply mlar, I'll start a search on my grand mother next. I guess I'm excluded from my GGF too due to my GF's nationalization?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Yes, you can't qualify through your ggf because the line was broken by your gf, and you can't skip generations.

If you have a viable line though your gm, that would work too, but in that case your father (mother?) must have been born on January 1, 1948 or later.

Hope it works for you.