Citizenship through Marriage NYC

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Citizenship through Marriage NYC

Post by Drew927 »

Had my Appointment today for my wife. All the documents were accepted but had to email a copy of a utility bill for proof of residency. Although the website says drivers license OR a bill, they wanted both. There was an issue with the background checks having only her married name, but they were accepted. The only surprise for me was the fee to have the documents stamped and notarized by the Consulate. It was an additional $137.00 I had to pay on the spot! So now its just the standard 730 day waiting period.
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Citizenship through Marriage NYC

Post by KarenChristino »

Hi Drew,

Congratulations and thanks for the info! How strict are they with the marriage applications? My husband's birth certificate has his mother's maiden name slightly misspelled, so does not match our marriage record. Would they make us correct it?

Thanks,
Karen
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

Hi Karen,
Based on my experience with going through my citizenship by descent and now through marriage for my wife, I feel that you may have an easier time with that discrepancy. Of course, if you can fix it I would suggest you do but if that is not an option, just present it and see what happens. I presented all of my wife's background checks with her married name and although the examiner frowned that her maiden name was absent she accepted them and forward them to Italy. So that being said, I did feel more at ease with my wife's doc's. There was a discrepancy with the town of my wife's birth. The U.S. record did not match the new Italian Marriage certificate. She again frowned a bit but felt it would not be an issue.
I hope this helps,
Drew
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

Thanks. I had a similar situation with descent in that they were very critical of some of our documents in the first appointment. We did do almost everything they asked for in terms of corrections and additional proofs, but at the 2nd appointment they accepted everything, including things that could not be changed, while noting the discrepancies.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

Your welcome Karen,
I believe you will be just fine "as is".
Good Luck,

Drew
dgeorge

Post by dgeorge »

My wife and I had our appointment on June 3 for my citizenship through marriage in NYC. Overall, not bad, but Abtran had messed up and scheduled our appointment as "citizenship through descent". They did not like that at the consulate and first told us we'd have to make another appointment. We put our best long faces on and indicated my materials were time sensitive and will expire before another appointment time. After a few minutes of back and forth, they took us in telling us what a favor they were doing us. The appointment was 45 minutes long and each document was read word for word and compared to my wife's file documents and the translations. After 45 minutes of waiting for the gentleman to look them over without saying a word but shaking his head a lot, he looked up and asked if we had saved the application on our computer. We said we did. He said go home, add your (my) parents middle names to the application, and email it back to me before 4 pm today. He then said, if you do that, I will see you again in two years when you take the oath of citizenship. So, all's well that ends well...so far. We'll see how long it takes Rome to process the paperwork.

In our case, he did not ask for phone/utility bill, but did ask for driver's license. Just depends on who is your reviewer. We also had to pay a processing fee of $98.00.