Marriage and Birth Records in Carpino

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jamey21

Marriage and Birth Records in Carpino

Post by jamey21 »

Good Day All!
I am hoping to find marriage and birth records in Carpino for my great grandfather and great grandmother. If my research is correct, my great grandfather was born around 1888 and was married to Angelina (or Angela) Sacco. I don't have where my great grandmother was from or when they got married, but I am guessing they are from the same area.

If anyone can provide a method to prove if my research is correct, that would be greatly appreciated. Also, if someone can provide instructions on how to get official documents from the Comune de Carpino, that would be great as well. I appreciate all of your assistance.
Thanks,
Johnny
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Marriage and Birth Records in Carpino

Post by erudita74 »

jamey21 wrote:Good Day All!
I am hoping to find marriage and birth records in Carpino for my great grandfather and great grandmother. If my research is correct, my great grandfather was born around 1888 and was married to Angelina (or Angela) Sacco. I don't have where my great grandmother was from or when they got married, but I am guessing they are from the same area.

If anyone can provide a method to prove if my research is correct, that would be greatly appreciated. Also, if someone can provide instructions on how to get official documents from the Comune de Carpino, that would be great as well. I appreciate all of your assistance.
Thanks,
Johnny

There are some online records for the town at familysearch.org under Continental Europe and then under

Italy, Foggia, Lucera, Ci...on (Tribunale), 1866-1910
Foggia
Carpino

Registro e L'Anno

Allegati (vari) 1866
Allegati (vari) 1866-1874
Allegati (vari) 1874-1879
Allegati (vari) 1879-1885
Allegati (vari) 1885-1891
Allegati (vari) 1891-1897
Allegati (vari) 1898-1903
Allegati (vari) 1903-1908
Allegati (vari) 1908-1910
Nati, matrimoni, pubblicazioni, morti 1866-1874
Nati, matrimoni, pubblicazioni, morti 1874-1884
Nati, matrimoni, pubblicazioni, morti 1885-1890
Nati, pubblicazioni, matrimoni, morti 1891-1903
Nati, pubblicazioni, matrimoni, morti 1904-1910

You should, at the very least, be able to find the 1888 birth record, if there are no missing years.

Here is an email address for the town's anagrafe (registry) office

comunecarpino@tiscali.it

If you decide to email, you should do so in Italian. Not all towns respond though.

To help you with correspondence in Italian, you can use form letters from the following website-

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/genealo ... -index.asp

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

BTW, what is the name of your great grandfather? In looking at the records quickly, I see a marriage for an Angela Vittoria Sacco, but I don't know if she is yours. She was married to a Giuseppe Basile. (with the records for 1904 to 1910, image 1314 of 1587).

Erudita
jamey21

Post by jamey21 »

Good Day,
Thank you for your quick response and the email address to obtain records. I speak some Italian and I have family members who speak Italian fluently.

My great grand father's name is Giovanni Troiano. I appreciate the quick look of the records. I will be looking through the images for his birth certificate on the website you provided.
Thanks,
Johnny
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, the immigration:
First Name: Giovanni
Last Name: Troiano
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Carpino, Italy
Date of Arrival: Sep 01, 1910
Age at Arrival: 22y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Principe di Piemonte
Port of Departure: Napoli, Italy
Manifest Line Number: 0018
wife Angiola in Carpino.

Giovanni was born in Carpino on 20 apr 1888, son of Michele Troiano and Caterina Spagnuoli;
married in Carpino on 24 sep 1908 at Angela Sacco.

Birth act #124 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1398372221

Marriage act #27
Angela Sacco was 20 old, born in Noicattaro, resident in Carpino, daughter of Nicola Sacco and of Maria Vittoria Nicastro

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1200998575
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jamey21

Post by jamey21 »

Thank you very much for this information! I appreciate all of your help.
lombard0

Post by lombard0 »

I will be in the Gargano area (Vieste) this April 2015. I beleive my grandfather, Vincenzo Campanile was born in Carpino in 1896 (April 5th). Where would I go to try and find his birth record(s)?

thanks,
R A L P H
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I checked for Vincenzo Campanile birth record in Carpino in 1896 not there
What was his mothers name?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
lombard0

Post by lombard0 »

RE: Campanile

Marty, thanks for looking. I have no idea of his mother's name. I go the birth info from a Draft registration card I found online. The card list Carpino, Italy as his place of birth. I have Vincenzo's US Naturalization Certificate that list is age as 30 years old and a subject of Italy. The certificate is dated 1926 which is matches a birth in 1896.

Know of any other Carpino towns in Italy?

Again, thanks!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

you have the your Vincenzo WWI draft registration card?
Here the WWII:
Vincent James Campanile

United States World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942

Name: Vincent James Campanile
Event Type: Draft Registration
Event Date: 1942
Event Place: Hoboken, Hudson, New Jersey, United States
Birth Date: 05 Apr 1896
Affiliate ARC Identifier: 2555983
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1861144..

you have his arrival in USA? on the naturalization paper what was his arrival year?
thanks,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
lombard0

Post by lombard0 »

Thanks for your help. I have since visited Carpino and have a copy of the Campanile family records. Also I have located the ship records and more. But I have one big problem trying to put together a set of records to apply for dual citizenship. The issue is my father's last name is Lombardo. It seems that my grandmother left Campanile with 3 children and started living with Lombardo. There are no marriage records for either Campanile or Lombardo. My father was never adopted he just assumed the Lombardo name at a very young age. All his records are as a Lombardo.

Got any ideas on how to precede?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi,
sorry, I don't understand very well... so a little resume:

by US records: Vincenzo Campanile was born on 1896 in Carpino, IT
By IT records: Vincenzo Campanile was born on 1896 in Carpino?
----------------
In USA Vincenzo Campanile had wife and childrens, it is right?
One child is your father, right?
But your father last name is Lombardo... no Campanile...
But his biological father was Vincenzo Campanile; the his biological mother changed the surname of your father, when she left Vincenzo Campanile and joined to Lombardo.... and your father became Lombardo.

Now the big problem is: you wish to apply for dual citizenship by your father Lombardo nee Campanile, son of the italian Vincenzo Campanile
But your father never legally adopted and on his all documents the surname is Lombardo.

I believe just a lawyer expert in the matter can help you, if it is possible to resolve this problem...

I see just a possibility, but I am no a expert, and my idea is:

IF you can prove, with evidences, that your father was the son of Vincenzo Campanile, and assumed- but no legally- the surname of Lombardo, and that his Birth/Baptism certificate show Campanile surname, and that no one Lombardo-having same mother name- was born in same place and in same birthdate, and to add all possible documents, evidences abt that,
and then to make a affidavit, stating that your father- current surname- Lombardo is the son of Vincenzo Campanile and of your grandmother, and that your grandmother left Vincenzo Campanile (first partner) and joined to Lombardo (second partner), and so to make a affidavit "one and the same" .... hoping that this affidavit is helpful for dual citizenship application...
So, to contact a lawyer and in meantime to contact the italian consulate, so you will have a full view of the case...
Best regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
lombard0

Post by lombard0 »

Suanj, grazie, grazie!

You have the story correct. It is complicated.

Do you or anyone know if US Census and newspaper Orbits are accepted as proof? My aunt's (my fathers sister) Orbit ties the Campanile and Lombardo names as well as her Social Security record.

Vincent's orbit lists most of his brother and sisters (both in the US and Italy) and list my father as son Ralph Campanile. My father's birth records which I recently procured lists my fathers name as Ralph Campleni. That's a bad spelling of Campanile. It indicates his father was James Campleni and mother Iva Schulrz.

Note on "James" WW2 draft card his name is Vincent James Campanile. The US Social Security records list his name as Vincent Campanile. Vincent's orbit indicates Vincenzo "Jimmy" Campanile. It also list another 6 of his brothers and sisters as noted on the Carpino records. So this is for sure the correct person.

I can't say for sure there is no marriage certificates but I and my cousins have searched without any success for both Lombardo and Campanile, with the I various spelling of the names. I have located a church in PA that possible could have been where Vincenzo and Iva got married (I'm presently awaiting their reply).

My non biological grandfather Joe Lombardo seems to be a complete mystery. His brother's name was Dragganetti and was from Sicily.

You idea of contacting the Italian consulate here in Boston is something my son and I have discussed. That may be our next step. Otherwise, we need a lawyer.

So, what kind of lawyer would I enlist?

Thanks again,

R A L P H
=========
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Ralph,
I repeat to you, that however you need experienced lawyer 's advice... and abt this your problem I believe that the name on the Birth certificate, Ralph Campleni, could be amended.... but the big problem is to show how and when Ralph Campleni became Ralph Lombardo.... and just a lawyer can help, thinking abt the better help to solve this situation....
So, my advice is that primarly, a contact with a lawyer, and if the problem can be solved, well in this case you can search more helpful documents....
Lombardo no legally adopted Ralph, otherwise you could apply for dual citizenship through Lombardo.....
Best regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

abt:
My non biological grandfather Joe Lombardo seems to be a complete mystery. His brother's name was Dragganetti and was from Sicily.
The his Brother had Dragonetti surname( possible right spelling)? Maybe the mother when widow remarried, so the brothers had different surnames.....when was born Joe Lombardo and where he lived?
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH