Last name confusion and more

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
italiaRI

Last name confusion and more

Post by italiaRI »

Hello, recently members "suanj" and "adelfio" on this forum have helped me find out the area where my great grandfather was born, as well as the name and birthplace of his mother. They have helped me with a main issue and I am very thankful for that. I am currently planning on starting my journey to getting Italian citizenship "jus sanguinis" and one of the first things I would like to do is get the birth certificate of my great grandfather from Italy. The problem is, it seems his last name might have been different from the one he used in the United States. His first name was Antonio, but his last name may have been either Lautieri, Laudieri, or Landieri. The name he used in the United States was Lautieri, but when he first came to the USA it seems the name that was attributed to him was "Landieri". The comune that I have to contact seems to be the Marzano Appio comune, but I don't know which last name to write to them for his birth certificate. Should I write to them asking for them to check for all three names? Will knowing his mothers name help them find it? Should I also try to get a marriage certificate as well? Should I write to the comune via e-mail first? I greatly thank anybody who is willing to help me with this issue.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Last name confusion and more

Post by adelfio »

Check your private messages

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
italiaRI

Post by italiaRI »

Thank you for that template, I was going to ask you what I should do for a birth certificate, but now I don't need to.
shentoy

Post by shentoy »

Is it important to have a relative in Italy having Italian citizenship to get myself an Italian citizenship? Can I not get without any relative staying in Italy?
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

It's not necessary to have any living relatives remaining in Italy in order to apply for recognition of Italian citizenship. But the ancestor through whom you claim your Italian bloodline must have been born in Italy.