unique problem with italian citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1

unique problem with italian citizenship

Postby italian_girl » 03 Jul 2013, 18:25

hi guys!

okay so i had another account on this site a while ago but i forgot the password so i made a new one <3

anyway here is my problem: in just a few months, i have an appointment to have my italian citizenship recognized.

but there's a catch!

i am a transgender girl. i ask no judgment on that, i am lucky cuz i am young (18) and people say my looks/voice both pass extremely well (this me if you are interested http://www.flickr.com/photos/61196877@N ... hotostream).

anyway, my problem is i have not yet had my documents changed to reflect my new name and my gender. my birth certificate won't even be amended until AFTER SRS. so i couldn't change that for the citizenship just yet anyway.

my questions are 1) if i go to my appointment, will the consuls give me a hard time for not matching my birth name, or just being trans? and 2) will i be able to change my name and gender on my italian records once i have the citizenship?

i cannot wait until after SRS to have my birth certificate, etc. amended and THEN get citizenship cuz the plan is to move to the UK and then get SRS on their NHS plan after i receive citizenship, and then just live and work there (in cosmetology) possibly for EVER.

anyway hoping you guys can help and also if there is anything else i should be thinking of that i didn't ask about please let me know <3
italian_girl

Re: unique problem with italian citizenship

Postby mler » 05 Jul 2013, 16:32

This is a unique situation so I suspect you won't get too many definitive answers. I do know that it's difficult to change your name in Italy. Is it at all possible do get a legal name change now? Even if your new, legal name does not match the name on your birth certificate, the legal papers will connect your new name to your old one, and that is the name with which you should be registered.

I hope that your transgender status will not cause problems with your application. It shouldn't, but there's no way to know. If you have the time, could you report your experience after your meeting. It may be helpful to someone else down the line.

I wish you the very best of luck.
mler
Master
Master

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship