Looking for Arrigo, Bongiorno,Campana

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Looking for Arrigo, Bongiorno,Campana

Postby lparker » 08 Mar 2005, 16:59

I'm searching for ancestors of Santo Bongiorno, Myg-g grandfather(my grandfathers grandfather) He was born in Salerno, Sisily. He was married to Antonia Mezzo Testa. My great-grandmother was Anna Campana(my grandfathers mother) she came to the USA around 1892(not sure what ship). Her parents were Francesco Campana and Ignazia Arrigo. This part is confusing, because some of their children are listed as Arrigo's and two have the last name Campana. I'm not sure if they were Ignazia's children from a previous marriage. They were all born in Polumbo, Salerno,Sisily, Italy.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Lucinda
lparker

Re: Looking for Arrigo, Bongiorno,Campana

Postby VaDeb » 08 Mar 2005, 21:05

Hi Lucinda,

To make an educated guess regarding the different surnames of the children, it would be important to know the source document that listed the surnames.

In Italy a woman never loses her maiden name. All documents refering to her, including her death record will have her by her maiden name. Occasionaly after marriage she may be listed by given name, maiden name and married surname.

If the documents are from Italy and the children have the same surname as the mother I would suspect that the father's name was unknown and thus they were just given the mothers surname. Of course there is always the possibility that the woman married a man with the same surname of her maiden name. Thus the children could have been from a previous marriage.

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship