citizenship through mother - stateless person?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

citizenship through mother - stateless person?

Postby doro12 » 04 Aug 2013, 01:40

Hi,

I'm interested in pursuing a citizenship claim for my mother and myself if possible.

Do my mother and I qualify?

My mother was born in 1945 in Italy to stateless parents. We have her Italian birth document and her parent's (my grandparents) Italian commune identity papers showing she was born in Italy and that her parents were stateless.

My mother moved to the United States in 1948 w/her parents and naturalized with them as a US citizen in 1952. I was born in 1969 in the United States and am a US Citizen.

I would like to know if she is eligible for Italian citizenship and if I am eligible then for Italian citizenship through her?

Thanks in advance!
doro12

Re: citizenship through mother - stateless person?

Postby mler » 04 Aug 2013, 12:26

I'm sorry but I don't believe she qualifies. By listing your grandparents as "stateless" on your mother's birth certificate, Italy specifically noted that they were not Italian citizens. Citizenship jure sanguinis in 1945 was only possible if the father was an Italian citizen. Unfortunately, birth in Italy does not confer citizenship.

I should add that even if your mother had been born an Italian citizen, you would not qualify because you were born after her naturalization. Had your mother been able to reacquire Italian citizenship (in this case, impossible) the reacquisition would not apply to her adult children.
mler
Master
Master

Re: citizenship through mother - stateless person?

Postby doro12 » 04 Aug 2013, 14:23

So ín regard to my mother, the provision that citizenship is acquired at birth when 'a child is born on Italian soil, on the condition that the child’s parents: are unknown or Stateless' did not apply in 1945?
doro12

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship