SanFilippo, Rizzo, DeLuca, Napoli

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
6 posts • Page 1 of 1

SanFilippo, Rizzo, DeLuca, Napoli

Postby sanfilippo » 10 Mar 2005, 06:16

I'm at a dead end. Searching for any family members or info that may help further my geneology search. This is where I'm at:
Great grandfather was Michele SanFilippo b. 1872,(Trabia, Palermo?)
arrived in NY 1886.
Great grandmother was Rosalia Rizzo b. 1881, arrived in NY from Naples in 1896. Her father was Pasquale.
They were married 1899 or 1900 in Brooklyn.
First child (my grandfather)Tony (Antonio) b. 1901-d.1950
He had three sisters, Netty (Antonette), Mary (Marianina), and Joan (Josefina)
Tony married Mary Naploi in 1926. She arrived in NY with mother Ninfa DeLuca and father Francesco Napoli in 1912.
My father Michele was born 1927 (still living) and had 2 brothers, Frank (died 1975), Salvatore (living, on Long Island) and 1 sister, Roalie,(living, in Calif.).
This is where I have been for about 2 months now with no more info. Can anyone HELP? Thanx
Antonio SanFilippo
sanfilippo

Re: SanFilippo, Rizzo, DeLuca

Postby VaDeb » 10 Mar 2005, 06:53

Hi,

I assume from your post you are trying to go further back. All records in Italy are in the town of origin.

Since you know, or think you know where the ancestor was from you need to head towards researching records in that town. Here you are lucky as the records have been microfilmed.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

You can rent the microfilm from your local Family History Center for about $3.50.

Good Luck
Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: SanFilippo, Rizzo, DeLuca, Napoli

Postby VaDeb » 15 Mar 2005, 06:12

Hi Tony,

It will make it easier for people to help you if you only post on one board. You have this same request on the genealogy board.

What help specifically are you looking for? Have you found your family on all US censuses? Do you need to find passenger arrival records?

I gave you the link for microfilm of birth, marriage and death records from the town you posted. Most Italian genealogy is done by writing to the town and requesting records, or going through microfilm and finding it yourself.

Let us know what it is you are looking for.

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby sanfilippo » 16 Mar 2005, 05:34

I posted on both boards because I realized that someone might also be looking for these surnames in geneology, and might have some other info.
I'm just trying to cover a couple of bases at the same time. I have been through all the sights including the pay sites and I can't find anything I don't already have. I plan on checking out the Family Library here in Lutz, Fl, just a few miles away, but I work from 8am to 8pm and don't have much free time during the day, so it makes it hard to do any research other than a couple of hours a night. I have checked dozens of manifests on Ellis Isl. which did help, but my GR.Grndftr came in 1886 before Ellis. I did find some census records which helped me to get where I am now. I could not find anything on 1900 census on Ancestry.com but they are not as fluant as 1910, 20, and 30. 1900 seems to be my KEY year.I know my gr.grnftr had brothers and I'd like to find my extended family ties and Itaian ties still in Sicily. I have been there and would like to go back with some family history under my belt next time.I must also admit, ashamedly, I do not speak much of my mother tounge!(although I do speak fluant Brooklynese)
Tony
sanfilippo

Postby VaDeb » 16 Mar 2005, 23:47

Hi Tony,

From my experience Italian genealogy research takes work and time. Don't forget to gather all the information you can from our side of the ocean. You will find hints and it will provide a more complete picture of your family history. A wealth of information can be found in the micrfilmed records when they are available for your town in Italy. Usually you have to go to the family history center and order the film you need. You may be lucky and find that town is part of the centers permanet collection.

If you are going to be researching your Italian roots, the book Italian Genealogy Records by Tafford Cole and Discovering your Italian Roots by Lynn Nelson are great helps. They have sample records to help you interpret the microfilm records. A good Italian genealogy word list is also helpful.

The starting point is to correctly identify the town or village of origin of the ancestor. All records in Italy are recorded in the town of origin. If you don't have this information, or are not sure if you have the correct town passenger records are helpful.

If you need to find the record of the ancestor post the name, date of immigration, their date of birth, names of parents, where or who they would be going to in the USA, any information on where they came from in Italy. What year have you found the ancestor on the census and where. You need to provide enough information so the ancestor can be identified from others with the same name. Many times names are not exactly as we expect them to be.

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby mfjp » 17 Mar 2005, 02:15

This is the closest I could get to a Michele SanFilippo.... this is a Castle Garden manifest... the arrival year and birthdates are off... am hoping that you recognise fellow passengers... you just never know... :?

But did all the census you've researched say 1886 at year of arrival??

Name:   Michele Sanfilipo
Arrival Date:   20 Nov 1889
Estimated Birth Year:   1862
Port of Departure:   Fiume, Naples, Palermo, and Trieste, Italy and Gibraltar
Destination:   United States of America
Place of Origin:   Italy
Ship Name:   California
Port of Arrival:   New York
Line:   22
Microfilm Roll:   541
List Number:   1589

http://img170.exs.cx/img170/5742/sanfilip6vp.jpg

I have PM (private messaged) you a long list of of Castle Garden passeners with the surname Sanfilippo or close... you can pick a couple of interest and I will link them here for you to view.

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship