Hello everyone, requesting some help please.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Hello everyone, requesting some help please.

Postby eclipse2013 » 25 Aug 2013, 17:18

Hello Everyone

I am trying to find out if my grandfather naturalized when he came over to America in 1928. My ggf Marco Savino was born in 1891 in Palo Del Colle, Bari. I have it shown that he came to America sailing from Napoli Nov 10 1907. In 1921, it shows him going back to Italy with his brother Giuseppe. Then in 1924, my grandfather was born in Palo del Colle. Would that have meant that Marco (1891-1969) was a American citizen when he had grandfather? Marco wife is Rose Del Vecchio (1902-1983) I know my grandfather came over around 1927, named Vito/William (1924-2005).

I have been searching to see if Jus sanguinis was available to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
eclipse2013

Re: Hello everyone, requesting some help please.

Postby jennabet » 26 Aug 2013, 21:23

eclipse, in comparison with the dates of one of my own grand-fathers (both were from Italy), it sounds like your great-grand-father may have become a naturalized US citizen and then gone back to Italy to get married, but of course you won't know this for sure until you search for his NARA records.

My grand-father -- born in Italy 1893

arrived in USA -- 1910

filed declaration of intention -- 1917

Filed Petition of Naturalization - 1919 (immigrants had to be permanently resident in the same US city for five years prior to this filing date)

Same year - 1919 - grand-mother arrived from Italy to plan wedding

1920 - My grand-parents got married in Philadelphia

1922 - My father born in USA

1923 - GF takes his oath of allegiance becoming naturalized US citizen when his American son was 18 months old.

If my grand-mother had not been willing to travel to USA alone, my grand-father may have taken his oath and gone back to Italy to retrieve my grand-mother. Fortunately for me, they got married in USA and had their first child in USA before he took the oath.
jennabet
Master
Master

Postby mler » 26 Aug 2013, 22:17

As jennabet notes, you need to do a NARA search to determine if your gf naturalized as an adult or if he naturalized as a minor with his father. That your ggf returned to Italy does not provide any information as to his citizenship.
mler
Master
Master

Postby eclipse2013 » 27 Aug 2013, 00:25

I requested an index search of my gf using the USCIS. If I understand this correctly, they will mail me a letter with record numbers. I then request the records numbers pertaining to his naturalization.

Out of curiosity, if my gf did naturalize with his father, the record would state so? And lets say my ggf did naturalize before he left Ny and was a citizen, went back to Italy for 6 years, came back with my gf, would they have known?

Also my great grandmother came over on the ship alone?? That seems so odd.

In addition, I found my great grandmothers petition card in 1944. I do not understand that date for it has been such a long time since she would have been here. My grandfather would of been 20 years old.

I think I may have opened a can of worms.. Regardless, this has been so interesting.
eclipse2013

Postby mler » 27 Aug 2013, 13:17

If your gf naturalized with his father, it would not be indicated on the certificate, but you would find evidence of it in the petition. Since your gf came to the US as a minor, the consulate would want naturalization records for his father so that they could determine if he received derivative naturalization.

Nothing unusual about women traveling alone. Often the men came first and later sent for their wives. Also, nothing unusual about a 20-year wait for a petition. Many Italians did not bother with citizenship, but the Second World War spurred many into action (my maternal grandparents among them). Also after 20 years, they were likely comfortable enough with English to answer the required questions.

If your ggf remained in Italy for six years, there is a possibility he had not yet become a US citizen. However, he may have travelled back and forth. It's sometimes not easy to find all the travel records.
mler
Master
Master

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship