Elderly Living Ancestor - Chicago Consulate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Elderly Living Ancestor - Chicago Consulate

Postby italianbuckeye » 01 Sep 2013, 04:39

Hello, everyone! First of all, I wanted to thank all of the people who've taken the time to post their experiences on this board. I've been reading it as I go through my own process, and it's really helped me!

So, I have pieced together the story of my family's naturalization in the USA. My great-grandfather was born in Italy and came to america in 1920. He naturalized in Ohio in 1930, five years after my grandmother was born. My father was born in 1957, and so we are all eligible for citizenship. Since we all live in Ohio, we'll be applying through the Chicago consulate.

My grandmother is still alive, but at the age of 88, is in no position mentally or physically to go to Chicago or carry out the application process. Is it possible for my father to apply using her genealogy and presenting her vital records, but without her attending? We're all very eager to go through the process, but it's just not feasible for her to participate. Is this going to be a problem in Chicago?

Thank you all so much for your help!
italianbuckeye

Re: Elderly Living Ancestor - Chicago Consulate

Postby mler » 01 Sep 2013, 14:51

There is absolutely no need for your grandmother to be there unless she is also applying and, based on her age, she probably isn't interested. Most consulates have a form to be completed by the living ancestor that states he/she never renounced Italian citizenship. This is all you will need.

When you download the necessary application forms from the Chicago consulate website, the one your grandmother signs is Form 3.
mler
Master
Master

Re: Elderly Living Ancestor - Chicago Consulate

Postby italianbuckeye » 01 Sep 2013, 19:55

Mler, thank you a million times over!
italianbuckeye

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship