Help With "ORDER FOR AFFIRMATION" To Correct Spellings

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Help With "ORDER FOR AFFIRMATION" To Correct Spellings

Postby shawnwalters » 11 Sep 2013, 18:26

I just had my appointment for Italian Citizenship through my GGF-GF-MOTHER and I was instructed to get an "ORDER FOR AFFIRMATION" and file with my local court to declare Americanization and general spelling mistakes on my GGF and GF birth, death and naturalization documents were the same people.

This request from the Philly consulate was different than anything I've read here. They don't want me to change the birth/death or records, just file this order with the court.

Problems:
GGF: Changed his Italian last name from having an a at the end to having an o on all documents. His first name Pasquale was listed as Patsy or Patsey on naturalization, death and my GF birth record

GF: His birth record has italian first name , but he went by English name on marriage/death and my Mother's birth certificate and his last name was spelled wrong.

The woman at Consulate said I did NOT need to get those records changed (b/c I can't change naturalization record) but showed me a document filed in Berks County that would be acceptable titled "ORDER FOR AFFIRMATION OF DUAL ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP, it basically just said I affirm these are all the same person although the names appear differently in various documents.

Anyone know of an attorney in PA (or near Pittsburgh) that could help with this? I've called a few, no one knows what I'm talking about.

I appreciate any help!
shawnwalters

Re: Help With "ORDER FOR AFFIRMATION" To Correct Spellings

Postby mler » 12 Sep 2013, 12:43

Maybe you just need a notary. I got this from the notary site, which explains what an affirmation is.

"Documents requiring an oath or affirmation MUST be signed in the presence of the notary. This is dictated by the customary language of the jurat (notarial certificate for an oath/affirmation); for example, “Subscribed [signed] and sworn-to/affirmed before me this (date) day of (month), (year).”

The signer will be directed by the notary to sign the document prior to the verbal ceremony (see below).

If a document presented for an oath/affirmation has already been signed, the notary must require the signer to sign the document again, in the notary’s presence. A notation may be made, “Duplicate signature at notary’s request.”

Having ensured that all the required elements for lawful notarization are present (see bullets below), the notary will verbally ask the signer the following or similar:

(For an Oath)
“Do you swear under the penalties of perjury, that the information contained in this document is the truth, so help you God?”

(For an Affirmation)
“Do you affirm under the penalties of perjury, that the information contained in this document is the truth?”"

Maybe that will be enough or perhaps you could take it to your local courthouse for filing.
mler
Master
Master

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship