Naturalization: Declaration

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Naturalization: Declaration

Post by gentilejoy@yahoo.com »

Please confirm:
I thought I read somewhere that the declaration intent had much more genealogy info. than the petition. I am not certain if my gg-grandfather filed in Manhattan or New Jersey. I am looking for his declaration intent. If New Jersey-they moved to West New York, NJ. I got the NARA copy request form to complete. I know that for Manhattan I would choose Southern District, but I don't know which District Court handled West New York, NJ ( I believe to be in Hudson County ). Thank you.
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Naturalization: Declaration

Post by erudita74 »

gentilejoy@yahoo.com wrote:Please confirm:
I thought I read somewhere that the declaration intent had much more genealogy info. than the petition. I am not certain if my gg-grandfather filed in Manhattan or New Jersey. I am looking for his declaration intent. If New Jersey-they moved to West New York, NJ. I got the NARA copy request form to complete. I know that for Manhattan I would choose Southern District, but I don't know which District Court handled West New York, NJ ( I believe to be in Hudson County ). Thank you.

Have you searched the indices at this website?

http://www.italiangen.org/records-searc ... ations.php

Erudita
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Yes, got two matches with the name. One is for Manhattan, and other is for Bronx. I never knew them to live in the Bronx. Last record I have of them living in Manhattan was on the 1910 US Federal Census then next time I see them listed on the 1930 US Federal Census in New Jersey. From 1910 to 1930 I can't find anything for him. I want to go with the Manhattan match, but it lists the date of declaration as 1894. One year after his arrival in America. I did not know one could start the naturalization process that soon after arriving. So, I don't know if it is the Bronx or Manhattan match on italiangen.org site.
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

These are the two matches:

Capozzi

Luigi

Volume:10A

Record:332

Declaration Type

Date:1894

Southern District, NY
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Capozzi

Luigi

Record: 84374

Declaration Type

Date: 1914-1927

Bronx County, NY
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You had to be living in the U.S. for two years before you could file your first papers or declaration of intent.

Since you can't find the 1920 census, did you try the NYS 1925 census? I don't have a subscription to ancestry.com, and can't view that census, so I can't help you with that.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Is this the family in the 1920 census?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M4TH-MMK

Vincent Capozzi in household of Louis Capozzi, "United States Census, 1920"
Name: Vincent Capozzi
Titles and Terms:
Event Type: Census
Event Year: 1920
Event Place: West New York Ward 3, Hudson, New Jersey, United States
District: 347
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Race (Original): White
Can Read: Yes
Can Write: Yes
Relationship to Head of Household: Son
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Son
Own or Rent:
Birth Year (Estimated): 1901
Birthplace: New York
Immigration Year:
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Sheet Number and Letter: 6B
Household ID: 115
Line Number: 96
Affiliate Name: The U.S. National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
Affiliate Publication Number: T625
GS Film number: 1821051
Digital Folder Number: 004313352
Image Number: 00585
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Head Louis Capozzi M 59 Italy
Wife Annie Capozzi F 49 Italy
Son Vincent Capozzi M 19 New York
Son Frank Capozzi M New York
Daughter Rose Capozzi F 8 New York

Erudita
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Erudita-the 1920 Federal US Census that you found appears to be a match. Looks like sometime between 1910 and 1920 they moved from Manhattan to New Jersey. I believe based on this information, I need to eliminate the Bronx location for "naturalization". That seems to make sense since we never knew the family to live in the Bronx. We knew they moved to New Jersey, but did not know exactly when they left New York City. The only other match for the naturalization declaration with his name is the one in 1894 for Southern District-Manhattan. I am going to use that one to request the copy. Hopefully that will match up to my gg-grandfather. Erudita-thank you again for your help.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Joy
You are making a terrible mistake sending for the 1894 record. Your ancestor could not do his declaration of intent until living in this country for two years. I see on the 1910 census that he still had alien status, so he did not naturalize before this year. You need to look at the original of the 1920 census to see if he was naturalized by then. I can't access it. Possibly someone else on the forum could upload a copy of the following census from ancestry.com

1920 United States Federal Census 1920s View Image
Name: Annie Capozzi
Spouse: Louis Capozzi
Birth: abt 1871 - location
Arrival: year
Residence: 1920 - city, Hudson, New Jersey

Thanks
Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Joy
I saw a copy of the 1920 census from Hudson County NJ. It shows PA, for first papers for Luigi, meaning that he had made his declaration of intent by the time of the 1920 census. He had alien status, however, on the 1910 census, so he started his naturalization process sometime between the dates on the two census records. Once again this confirms that the 1894 Luigi that you found in the Southern District of NY index is NOT yours. The three children on the 1920 census, Vincenzo, Frank, and Rosa all appear to have been born in NY. It is difficult to read Rosa's age, but she may have only been 6 months on the 1920 census in Hudson NJ. Anyway, this gives you a time frame for Luigi's declaration of intent between 1920 and 1930. His name could be misspelled in the Southern District of NY index database, which is something you may not have considered.
Erudita
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Erudita-I thank you so much for further looking into this for me. I would never have thought to look at the census to verify alien status. I currently do not have an active Ancestry.com subscription, so I was not able to locate and view the 1920 census. It looks like the 2 name matches on italiangen.org site are not my gg-grandfather Luigi. What you found gives me a more precise time period of when he began the naturalization process. Quite possibly like you said-there may be a misspelling of his name (I know this was not uncommon). I am hoping that when I get a copy of his declaration of intent- I will be able to verify exactly where he was from in Italy-Sorrento or Naples. Unfortunately, his ship manifest did not give this information. I will update on what I find regarding declaration of intent. Joy.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I tried sending you a link to the census page through private message, but that didn't work. I just sent an email to your yahoo acct. Let me know if you get the census page.

Erudita

I'm sorry but the link I sent you in an email doesn't work and I tested it first by sending it from one of my email accts to another. Erudita

I just sent you an email with an attachment. You should be able to view the census page now. The family starts on line 94, toward the bottom.
Erudita
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

:) Thank you Erudita !
Oh yes, I am just viewing the email attachment which shows the census page. Great! It confirms that by 1920 the family had left New York City and moved out to New Jersey. It also shows his "naturalization" status. This helps me a whole lot because now I have a time line for when Luigi applied for naturalization. I will need to contact NARA to locate a copy of his "declaration" record. I am hoping there will be information on it about his birthplace which will put to rest whether my maternal great grandmother and her parents came from Sorrento (which she always said to the family) or Naples (which shows on her petition papers). Erudita, thank you so very much for assisting, Joy.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Joy
I'm so happy you are able to view the 1920 census. It's too bad that the part with Louis and family is somewhat washed out and a bit difficult to read. I tried to get someone with a subscription to ancestry.com to upload a copy from there, but my post has not received any replies.

Anyway, I have a copy of the 1910. If you need that one sent to your email acct too, let me know.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Joy
There is a copy of the 1920 census page from ancestry.com in the thread below, thanks to volunteer Marty Adelfio on this forum.

http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/topic28962.html

Erudita
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Erudita - thanks to both you and Marty for this copy. I was looking at it, and it looks like I see 1919 (although not real clear-somewhat fuzzy) as the date he started his naturalization or declaration of intent. I do see "PA" next to his name, but his wife Anna is "AL". This is really going to help me to request the record from NARA. I do have the 1910 copy which shows the family still living in the Hell's Kitchen part of New York City. Once again I thank you and Marty.