How does long-time Italian immigrant get Italian passport?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1

How does long-time Italian immigrant get Italian passport?

Postby phil100a » 16 Oct 2013, 23:22

Hi, I have a good friend who was born in Italy; she came to America in the early 50's as a young girl. To the best of my knowledge never went through the process of naturalizing here in America as an American citizen. She still has a green card! Now, she is interested in finding out how to procure an Italian passport, and "re-up" as an Italian citizen. How would she go about doing this, and would there be any penalties? Does she have to go the "jure sanguinis" route? Or, does she simply need to apply for an Italian passport. She has her original birth certificate, form Italy.

I'm assuming that she would simply have to show her birth certificate to a consular office, fill out a passport application, and make an appointment with the Italian Consulate, show her birth papers, pay a fee for the passport, and she'd be good to go. Is there any more to it than that? Would she have to show immigration papers, or her parents birth and marriage certificate?

Any ideas, suggestions, or insights would be helpful.

Thanks, in advance!
phil100a
Rookie
Rookie

Re: How does long-time Italian immigrant get Italian passpor

Postby mler » 17 Oct 2013, 19:46

Technically, as an Italian citizen living in the US, she should have registered in AIRE. If she's not registered, that would be her first step.

Are you certain that she didn't naturalize? That would make a difference. Is it possible she naturalized as a minor child with her parents?
mler
Master
Master

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship