Maria COLOSIMO born Colosimi, Cosenza 1889

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Nicolat

Maria COLOSIMO born Colosimi, Cosenza 1889

Post by Nicolat »

I have thoroughly enjoyed my introduction to and exploration of this site and found the supportive comments to be encouraging and decided to join the group.

I’m finding it challenging to find birth of a family member, MARIA COLOSIMO, supposedly born in COLOSIMI, COSENZA on 8 February 1889. Her parents were VINCENZO COLOSIMO and CONCETTA BONACCI.

I have located her US marriage in 1905 and other pertinent documents (US census, children’s birth certificates, etc) so right now the challenge is to find HER in Italy. A lengthy perusal of the Ellis Island site does not show the family arriving. Various US censuses indicate her immigration as 1899-1900.

Could it be that she was born in Soveria Mannelli or another small town nearby, in spite of her claiming a Colosimi birthplace? (Her husband hailed from Colosimi and arrived through Ellis Island in 1902.)

With the intention of obtaining Italian citizenship, I need to be in contact with the correct commune for her birth certificate.

Any help would be appreciated.
Nico
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Maria COLOSIMO born Colosimi, Cosenza 1889

Post by Tessa78 »

Welcome to the forum! :-)

Can you answer a few questions?

Is Colosimi Maria's married or maiden name?

Is her husband's name Giovanni?

Did she live in Pittsburgh?

T.
Nicolat

Post by Nicolat »

Thanks, Tessa.
Interestingly, both her maiden and married names were COLOSIMO. Her husband, Francesco, immediately settled in Hurley, Wisconsin after arrival through Ellis Island in 1902. The E.I. ship manifest indicated that he was going to stay with his uncle, N.[Nicola] Bonacci. Maria's mother's maiden name was Bonacci. So... perhaps they were related.
N.
Nicolat

Post by Nicolat »

UPDATE-
I recently received the Petition for Naturalization for Maria's husband which indicated that she was born in COLLA, Italy.

Zooming in on the Google map surrounding Colosimi (in Cosenza province) shows Colla as a tiny hamlet southeast of Soveria Mannelli. This would put it in Catanzaro province. I'm continuing my request as another query.

N.