*** There is a problem with new registrations - Contact us when you did not receive an activation email ***

Need Input Please

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
31 posts • Page 1 of 31, 2, 3

Need Input Please

Postby jmac » 21 Apr 2005, 05:52

Hello,
I am trying to gather as much information as possible on my mother-in-law's lineage for her 90th birthday gift. Her father was Vito Gallina, born 1875 in Carini, Palermo, Sicily. Mom once told me she would like to know if her father had any siblings.
The administrator of the Carini Sicily Genealogy exchange was kind enough to check Carini baptisms and found a sister, Rosalia Gallina, baptised in 1881. A notation on the records stated that Rosalia had been married twice and the second husband's name was Giuseppe Maniaci.
Vito Gallina's passenger record states that he was joining his brother-in-law, Salvatore Ruffino on 17th Street in Brooklyn, New York.
The 1920 census shows Salvatore Ruffino living on 17th Street in Brooklyn with Wife Rosalia, who was born ca. 1880. I thought I hit paydirt until I found Salvatore and Rosalia on a ship manifest and she was listed as Rosalia Covello (not Gallina or Maniaci), wife of Salvatore Ruffino and daughter of Salvatore Covello.
I need some input from someone more familiar with immigration. Did immigrants list friends as relatives because they needed family sponsorship? Looking over the manifests I noticed that every immigrant seemed to be joining a relative.
Is it just a coincidence that Salvatore Ruffino's wife's name was Rosalia and that she was born in the same time period as Grandpa Gallina's sister or am I missing something?
Any input, help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am totally confused.
Thanks,
Janet
jmac

Re: Need Input Please

Postby JamesBianco » 21 Apr 2005, 18:05

boost
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Postby mfjp » 22 Apr 2005, 03:48

boost.... was I the only one who didn't know what boost meant?? :oops:

ok Janet... one question.... was it 553 - 17th street??? No. 90 whatever...

mfjp :P
mfjp
Master
Master

Postby jmac » 23 Apr 2005, 23:59

mfjp wrote:boost.... was I the only one who didn't know what boost meant?? :oops:

ok Janet... one question.... was it 553 - 17th street??? No. 90 whatever...

mfjp :P

Thanks for your reply. 553 - 554 - 444.....I've seen all of these numbers in various records, but all on 17th Street in Brooklyn.
The 1913 ship manifest shows Salvatore & Rosalia Ruffino joining their brother-in-law, Fillipo LoPiccolo at 554 17th St.
The 1920 census shows them living at 444 17th St.
The 1904 ship manifest of Vito Gallina looks like Salvatore Ruffini at 557 17th St.
I'm assuming it was a large tenement building where many people from Carini lived.
Any ideas?
Janet
jmac

Postby mfjp » 24 Apr 2005, 00:39

Well... I'm glad that you noticed too... I was looking for Vito Gallina's siblings and came across this record... which has awful script... and the problem is... I can't make out who the passenger is... but the address is close to the ones you listed... if anyone can read this, please post info...

Who ever transcribed it managed to get the last 3 letters of the surname... when I saw it as "???ina"... I was hoping that it could be a Giacomo Gallina... but looking at it again... it could be anything...

It does mention that this passenger was going to a Vito's home who's address is 553 17th street...

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0649%2ETIF

page 2

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 1598050006

First Name: Giacomo
Last Name: ...ina
Ethnicity: Italy, South
Last Place of Residence: Carini, Sicily
Date of Arrival: May 16, 1909
Age at Arrival:  22y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  S  
Ship of Travel: Lombardia
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0006

The only hope I have here is the address..., will certainly keep an eye out...

Hope you will have more info for your M.i.L.'s birthday.

Hope there's more time to look.... research is very time consuming... and quite the hobby.... I'm sure she'll be pleased that you are showing interest in her family.

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Postby jmac » 24 Apr 2005, 01:01

mfjp wrote:Well... I'm glad that you noticed too... I was looking for Vito Gallina's siblings and came across this record... which has awful script... and the problem is... I can't make out who the passenger is... but the address is close to the ones you listed... if anyone can read this, please post info...

Who ever transcribed it managed to get the last 3 letters of the surname... when I saw it as "???ina"... I was hoping that it could be a Giacomo Gallina... but looking at it again... it could be anything...

It does mention that this passenger was going to a Vito's home who's address is 553 17th street...

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0649%2ETIF

page 2

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 1598050006

First Name: Giacomo
Last Name: ...ina
Ethnicity: Italy, South
Last Place of Residence: Carini, Sicily
Date of Arrival: May 16, 1909
Age at Arrival: 22y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Lombardia
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0006

The only hope I have here is the address..., will certainly keep an eye out...

Hope you will have more info for your M.i.L.'s birthday.

Hope there's more time to look.... research is very time consuming... and quite the hobby.... I'm sure she'll be pleased that you are showing interest in her family.

mfjp

Thanks for the link to the manifest. The surname looks like Mannino to me, and the person he is joining looks like Vito Buffa, but I can't make out the relationship.

Janet
jmac

Postby JamesBianco » 24 Apr 2005, 04:03

It is Taormina instead of Mannino. LOL I can cite the top 20 Carini surnames off the top of my head. That's pretty bad.

Jim :)
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Postby mfjp » 24 Apr 2005, 05:06

James, Can you figure out the rest of the manifest? Which relative was he going to see on 17th St.?

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Postby jmac » 24 Apr 2005, 07:54

Leave it to Jim to figure it out! He IS an authority on the Carini people.

I'm still waiting for an answer to my question about immigrants naming relatives they are joining in this country. Does anybody know?

I also need to find out something about Vito Gallina's sister Rosalia. Jim, can you tell me the range of years of the Carini marriage records? Did the LDS film records from the late 1800's and early 1900's?

Thanks,
Janet
jmac

Postby JamesBianco » 24 Apr 2005, 13:34

jmac wrote:I also need to find out something about Vito Gallina's sister Rosalia. Jim, can you tell me the range of years of the Carini marriage records? Did the LDS film records from the late 1800's and early 1900's?

Thanks,
Janet

The LDS films go to early 1910. I used to have them on loan, but that film (1903-1910) went back to salt lake a couple of weeks ago. I guess when I was renewing them I missed that one! I do have here at home up to July 1884, and then up to 1903 on the remaing part of that roll down at my local FHC. It is starting to look like Rosaria may not have come to the US. Have you had a look at Vito's obituary? It may list his siblings. Just a thought.

Jim
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Postby JamesBianco » 24 Apr 2005, 13:38

mfjp wrote:James, Can you figure out the rest of the manifest? Which relative was he going to see on 17th St.?

mfjp

His relative in italy was his mother Vita Armetta, and he was going to visit cousin Vito Buffa. Maria it always amazes me how much effort you put into helping people here. I love reading your posts!!

JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Postby JamesBianco » 24 Apr 2005, 13:43

jmac wrote: Did immigrants list friends as relatives because they needed family sponsorship? Looking over the manifests I noticed that every immigrant seemed to be joining a relative.

I never even considered they would lie to immigration authorities. I can totally see why they would too, and I will keep that in the back of my mind as a possibility next time I am searching for manifests.

Thanks
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Postby JamesBianco » 24 Apr 2005, 14:02

Janet, here is something interesting.

I was looking for the parents of your Vito Gallina from when you started researching. Were they Angelo & Grazia? If so...Grazia's father was an Emmanuele. The Italians named their children in a consistent method (at least the first 2 boys and girls. Angelo would have had a Vito, a Rosaria, an Emmanuele, and a Crocefissa. He also would have likely had an Angelo. Now we know Vito and Rosaria exsted, but how about Emmanuele?

I found one coming to the US in 1913, leaving wife Filippa Buffa in Italy and coming to see noneother than VITO BUFFA!

Line 17:
1913 Emmanuele Gallina Part 1

1913 Emmanuele Gallina Part 2

The birthdate for Emmanuele is 1878 or so. I think that fits well into your line. He would have been the second born boy, as he was named after his mother's father. What do you think?

Jim
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Postby jmac » 24 Apr 2005, 21:18

Jim, you are a darling!!! I don't know why I didn't think to look at the parents names for possible children...I know about the naming pattern...just never dawned on me to use it for possibles. :roll:
Now I'm really excited about this. I took a look at the manifest for Emmanuele Gallina and see that Vito Buffa lived on (where else) 17th Street!

The ship, San Guglielmo, is the same ship that Grandpa Vito and Grandma Antonina Gallina came over on a year before in 1912.

My Vito Gallina first came to the US in 1904, then went back and returned again in 1907. The next time he went back to Carini, he married Antonina Guercio. They came here together in 1912.
On the 1907 manifest, Vito lists another brother-in-law in Brooklyn but I can't make out the name...looks like Antonio Badafomin. Could I call on your expertise to identify that name? Can't make out the address either.

You don't know what I would give to have an LDS library near me with decent hours.

Janet
jmac

Postby mfjp » 25 Apr 2005, 00:26

Jim, you are a darling!!!

yes jmac... I agree!

I had to send him a PM to find out what "boost" meant...

LOL...It is a forum term. Means bring this post to the top.
which is how he replied.... and shows he does care...

Looks like he's on a great trail here... always nice to see info found and shared like this...

:P mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Next

31 posts • Page 1 of 31, 2, 3

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship