to study in Sicily?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

to study in Sicily?

Postby GlobeTrotter » 25 Apr 2005, 21:54

I wasn't quite sure where to put this post, but I hope the topic isn't too distracting.
I am 18 years old and currently finising up my last year of high school in California. I would really like to go and study in Sicily, but I wasn't sure if there are certain requirements for the Universities. I don't know any Sicilian but I would really like to learn. My grandmother is Sicilian and she used to teach me some phrases when I was younger. Unfortunately she now suffers from Alzheimer's Disease and we're not sure how much longer she will live (she's already 93). I would really like to preserve the Sicilian culture and language in my family, it would really mean a lot to me. For this reason I am looking for some way in which I can study or live in Sicily for an extended period of time so that I can absorb the culture and language and maybe even live with a native family. Does anybody have any ideas of how I can accomplish this goal? I know there are exchange programs and such, but they are quite costly and I don't have a lot of money. I was wondering if it might be a good idea to find a family that might be willing to host me in their home for a while. Does anybody know how I can do this? I have been doing research for a while to try and find relatives, but our sources are scarce. All I know is that my great grandpa's name was Giuseppe Marchese and he was from Palermo and left for the U.S. to mary a Maria Pelitiere (also originally from Palermo).
Would it be okay if I find a Marchese family in Palermo and explain my circumstances...might they understand and allow me to stay with them? I've always heard that the Italians are warm and friendly, but I can also understand if they may feel that I'm intruding into their own lives.
Can somebody please offer me some advice? Thank you very much :).

Mark
GlobeTrotter
Rookie
Rookie

Re: to study in Sicily?

Postby wldspirit » 26 Apr 2005, 09:51

This question was asked at another forum, and the following sites were provided:

www.livingitaly.com

http://www.servas.org

wldspirit
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby GlobeTrotter » 27 Apr 2005, 14:16

Thank you wldspirit for the helpful links. I also have just on more question, perhaps which has already been answered in one of these forums, so I hope I'm not bugging you!

My great grandparents came to New York from Palermo, Sicily. Their daughter (my grandmother) was born in the U.S., so she obtained U.S. citizenship. I heard that you have to have Italian heritage if you'd like to emmigrate to Italy. Would this be possible for me to do? I don't have the birth certificates of my great grandparents, just of my grandmother born in the U.S. However, on the certificate is her surname Marchese and this is of course Italian! Would the Italian government recognize this and would I be able to obtain Italian citizenship? Thanks for the help!
GlobeTrotter
Rookie
Rookie

Postby JamesBianco » 27 Apr 2005, 16:29

GlobeTrotter wrote:My great grandparents came to New York from Palermo, Sicily. Their daughter (my grandmother) was born in the U.S., so she obtained U.S. citizenship. I heard that you have to have Italian heritage if you'd like to emmigrate to Italy. Would this be possible for me to do? I don't have the birth certificates of my great grandparents, just of my grandmother born in the U.S. However, on the certificate is her surname Marchese and this is of course Italian! Would the Italian government recognize this and would I be able to obtain Italian citizenship? Thanks for the help!

You might be eligible for Dual Citizenship if your mother or father (whichever is the child of the grandmother you are talking about) was born on or after Jan 1, 1948. Before that year a woman could not pass her Italian citizenship to her children, and since your grandmother probably never renounced her Italian citizenship because as a native US citizen by birth she had no need to, she would have had Italian citizenship rights. One more thing, her parents would have had to stay Aliens until after her birth, if her father became a citizen before she was born Italy would consider her ineligible. Is this the only Italian heritage you have? Were they specifically from the city of Palermo or possibly the surrounding area?

Jim :)
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 27 Apr 2005, 18:11

The following is a good faq on Italian citizenship:

http://www.italiamerica.org/id71.htm

and this site may interest you as well:

http://www.expatsinitaly.com/

wldspirit
wldspirit