Immigration Record & Declaration of Intent

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Immigration Record & Declaration of Intent

Postby John Seymour » 16 Jan 2014, 03:31

Based on the 1900 & 1910 US Census, my great grandfather immigrated to the U.S. in the 1881-82 time frame. He went to New England to work as a barber. Although I have his Naturalization record from the Newark, NJ court house dated 28 Oct 1884 & a record of the arrival of my great grandmother & my grandmother at Castle Garden on 26 Oct 1885, I have been unable to locate his record of arrival & Declaration of Intent. This has become more complicated since my great grandfather changed his surname from Lepera on his birth record to Bellaspica on his naturalization record & my grandmother was born on 6 Oct 1883. Prior to emigration the family lived in the Village of San Demetrio Corone in the Province of Cosenza.
John Seymour

Re: Immigration Record & Declaration of Intent

Postby Tessa78 » 20 Jan 2014, 21:43

Have you tried ordering from NARA, since you have his Naturalization record?

http://www.archives.gov/forms/

When you order a Naturalization record from NARA (small fee) you will usually receive the Certificate of Arrival and Declaration of Intent and Petition along with it.

https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 21 Jan 2014, 17:32

How do you know Lepera and Bellaspica are the same person?
jennabet
Master
Master

Postby John Seymour » 31 Jan 2014, 20:22

Tessa78 - At your suggestion, I did try NARA. They replied that they did not have the Naturalization record at their facility. They referred me back to the NJ State Archives.

jennabet - Have confirmed that it is the same person by connecting the names in Newark City Directories & Census records with the known dates of birth & marriage held by the State Archives in Cosenza. This is supported by the record of his marriage & immigration record of Roseangela Macri. Roseangela immigrated under her maiden name. The Archives recorded him as Angelo Maria Matteo Lepera so it appears that he changed his full name to Napoleon Bellaspica after arrival in the US. Interestingly, he later used the surname Layare which bears some resemblance to Lepera.
John Seymour

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship