BADLY misindexed passenger manifest driving me crazy HELP!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
19 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Re: BADLY misindexed passenger manifest driving me crazy HEL

Postby 113yearslater » 28 Jan 2014, 22:29

Yeah, I laughed my head off when I found that "Enurdes" as well. :-) I love "Knicet." Sounds vaguely pharaonic!

I would love it if you were right about Giuseppe. I would dearly love to see the civil records from Atessa and see if Zigol's first name was actually Giuseppe.

And blast it for me not recalling that Emidio was a younger brother! My great-grandmother was actually pregnant with him when all three of them came through Ellis. You can find that manifest under the even more creatively misspelled "Auceako Pistilli." :-) It's gotten to the point where if I find anyone with a preposterous first name and a Pistilli-like surname, I can guarantee that it's my great-grandfather. :-D
113yearslater
Rookie
Rookie

Postby suanj » 28 Jan 2014, 23:08

I found all records abt Aniceto and Nicola.. lacking the Nicola ship's manifest.. but he arrived in USA... and by my experience many italians changed the first names when stayed in USA... Nicola arrived in USA and with passport..
so: mybe the real first name was Giuseppe and he was called Nicola in USA ..it is possible... anyone here, with genealogy experience, it can say you that are many cases abt the changement in USA of italian immigrant's first names...
regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby 113yearslater » 29 Jan 2014, 00:28

I do recall wondering if Zigol hadn't changed his name in some way -- he was just the right age to be drafted and might have wanted to use another name for whatever reason.
113yearslater
Rookie
Rookie

Postby dmt1955 » 29 Jan 2014, 21:12

FWIW...multiple times, i have come across a link that does not match the manifest search for a name on the ellis island website.

I have sent them an email with the incorrect link along with the information of the person for whom I am searching. I have consistently heard back from them within 3-5 days with the correct link.

Donna
www.MyItalianFamilies.com
Researching: Purcaro, Raimo, Rizzo, Scaglione, Troisi, Masucci
Locations: Ariano (di Puglia) Irpino, Volturrara, Altavilla, Zungoli
dmt1955
Master
Master

Previous

19 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship