Italian Citizenship - Obtaining Death Certificates from NY

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Italian Citizenship - Obtaining Death Certificates from NY

Postby JfsKnight » 29 Apr 2005, 11:19

Hi, I've just begun the whole process of becoming an Italian citizen. Obviously the first step would be finding out if and/or when my great-grandfather was naturalized. I can do this for free by sending a form into the town where he lived in the US.

However, I might have some difficulty obtaining the death certificates of my g-grandparents, and my grandfather's birth certificate. New York is a bit out of the way for me, so going there is really not that feasible. As far as the death certificates are concerned I need one of the following: documented lawful right or claim, documented medical need, or a New York State Court Order. For the birth certificate I'd need a New York State Court Order. The reason is that my grandfather died recently, and all of his brothers and sisters are dead as well. My grandmother who is still alive would not be able to get his birth certificate either. Only a person named on the certificate can do so.

If anyone here has any experience with this, I'd greatly appreciate an answer. What I'm hoping is that if I send a letter stating my need, my relationship to my deceased relatives, and the fact that they have no children left alive I'll be able to acquire the documents I need. I'd prefer not to get a lawyer involved as that's probably more than I can afford, but will do it if necessary. For the birth certificate, perhaps I can send a photocopy of the original to Vital Records office in New York, and get a certified copy that way.

What does everyone think?
JfsKnight

Re: Italian Citizenship - Obtaining Death Certificates from

Postby wldspirit » 29 Apr 2005, 11:33

The following site has a forum titled "Italian Law" staffed by an attorney
from here in the states, they will answer questions with regard to citizenship........

http://www.virtualitalia.com/forums/

You may also find these sites helpful as well.........

http://www.italiamerica.org/id71.htm

http://www.expatsinitaly.com/

good luck,
wldspirit
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby pastasugo » 30 Apr 2005, 06:59

bn
pastasugo
Rookie
Rookie

Postby JfsKnight » 30 Apr 2005, 11:42

Hmm, that might actually work. Now to get the Consulate in Houston to send them a letter.
JfsKnight

Postby dsillyp » 14 May 2005, 17:24

I just got back from the Phila Consulate. Maryland is one of those states that refuses to give a birth certificate of a person who has died. Phila said that if I send a formal letter to the Vital Statics stating what I need, the consulate would accept a statement from the State on their letter head verifying that they have a birth certificate on file, the name, date of birth and the parents name. As you know, they need something official to track the lineage and this would do. I still have my mothers drivers license and believe it or not it actually helped. I just can't accept we have to actually start legal proceedings to get information that is rightfully ours. I am going to try it this way first. Good luck.
bella ciao, bella ciao, bella ciao ciao ciao!
dsillyp

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship