Guiseppe on Birth/Joseph on death

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Guiseppe on Birth/Joseph on death

Postby puglisigeraci » 30 Jan 2014, 22:10

My grandfathers birth certificate shows his name as Guiseppe, the 1920 census shows his name as Joseph, his marriage certificate shows Joseph and his death certificate shows Joseph.
Do I need to have those 2 certificates ammended to Guiseppe? Or will be translated to that anyway and I am ok?
Thank you for your guidance.
puglisigeraci

Re: Guiseppe on Birth/Joseph on death

Postby liviomoreno » 01 Feb 2014, 18:37

I don't know if you need to amend any certificate, but the birth name s Giuseppe (not Guiseppe), which is the Italian for Joseph.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Guiseppe on Birth/Joseph on death

Postby puglisigeraci » 03 Feb 2014, 19:05

My son e-mailed the consulate in LA. While they did not say that it was ok, they did say that minor discrepancies are usually fine and they will determine when they see it.
I think it is clear that he just tried to "Americanize" his name. All other pertinent information is the same such as date of birth.
If they want his wife's info, we will deal with the same thing. She is listed as Annie on any paperwork coming from Scotland and Anne on her American papers.
We are probably going to have to ammend Joseph's (My grandfather)death certificate as his mother,Antonia is listed as Angelina. That one probably will not fly.
So far the hardest part is keeping everything organized, figuring out what needs a letter of exemplification, what need to be apostilled, do I need my divorce decree translated? I would like to go to the consulate and have everything in order, but I am going a wee bit crazy doing this!
We also just found out that when my grandfather died there was a scandal in Florida and his death certificate was not signed by am authorized person - so that has to be reorderd!
Thank you for responding to me. This site seems to be filled with caring individuals who genuinely want to help each other.
puglisigeraci

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship