Magliolo Brothers From Sicilia...

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Magliolo Brothers From Sicilia...

Postby WiltonHudgens » 06 Feb 2014, 03:24

I'm looking for anyone who has any information about Salvatore and Tommaso Magliolo. Salvatore married Grazia Favazza in Terrasini in 1906 and his brother (Tommaso) married Philippa Cusumano in the same place and year. Salvatore came through Ellis Island in New York, stopped in Boston for a few years and went to live in Memphis, TN...His brother is shown coming through New York on his way to Detroit, Michigan. There are records that say that these brothers are from Terrasini and Girgenti in Agrigento. The parents of the brothers are Francesco Paolo Magliolo and Anna Maria Visconti. I have found marriage records for the brothers and birth records for their first child. I'm having trouble finding documentation of their exact places of birth. Salvatore Magliolo was supposed to have been born 29 Jan/Jun 1884. I have seen that there were a great many Magliolos from Favignana and Cefalu. If anyone out there has heard of these folks, I'd appreciate any ideas.

Wilton Hudgens
wilofthegodz@yahoo.com
WiltonHudgens

Re: Magliolo Brothers From Sicilia...

Postby Tessa78 » 06 Feb 2014, 18:55

WiltonHudgens wrote:I'm looking for anyone who has any information about Salvatore and Tommaso Magliolo. Salvatore married Grazia Favazza in Terrasini in 1906 and his brother (Tommaso) married Philippa Cusumano in the same place and year. Salvatore came through Ellis Island in New York, stopped in Boston for a few years and went to live in Memphis, TN...His brother is shown coming through New York on his way to Detroit, Michigan. There are records that say that these brothers are from Terrasini and Girgenti in Agrigento. The parents of the brothers are Francesco Paolo Magliolo and Anna Maria Visconti. I have found marriage records for the brothers and birth records for their first child. I'm having trouble finding documentation of their exact places of birth. Salvatore Magliolo was supposed to have been born 29 Jan/Jun 1884. I have seen that there were a great many Magliolos from Favignana and Cefalu. If anyone out there has heard of these folks, I'd appreciate any ideas.

Wilton Hudgens
wilofthegodz@yahoo.com

Hello Wilton :-)

You say you have the marriage records for Salvatore and Tomasso? These marriage records should state their place of birth.
Can you post the records for us?

EDIT TO ADD:
I saw the marriage record you have on Ancestry. Since it is a ecclesiastical record, unfortunately there is not place of birth mentioned.

FYI - I located two ship manifests for July and August 1907 trips he did not sail.
He states that he is leaving his wife Grazia Favazza in Terrasini, going to father-in-law Liborio Favazza at Union St., Chicago, IL(July manifest), and on the August manifest his destination in Liborio Favazza on Mulberry St., NY
On the second page in the last column, he gives his place of birth as TERRASINI on the first manifest and PALERMO on the second. Since Palermo is the Province in which Terrasini is located, my thoughts would lean toward Terrasini as his birthplace.

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Salvatore Magliolo
Name: Salvatore Magliolo
Arrival Date: 25 Jul 1907
Birth Date: abt 1885
Birth Location: Sicily
Birth Location Other: cenarini (clearly Terrasini on manifest)
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Nord America

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 06 Feb 2014, 20:40

Was able to locate Grazia Favazza's birth record from Terrasini (15 November 1884) :-)

REcord #324 at bottom left
Father: Liborio
Mother: Benedetta Lo Piccolo

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1093487060

Looked for Salvatore Magliolo's birth record for the same year, but found nothing in January, June or July :-(
Will continue to look at the years before and after...

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 07 Feb 2014, 15:20

Brother Tommaso's 1907 ship manifest

Shows last residence as Terrasini on first page but Palermo on second page.

Page 1
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0016

Page 2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0016

Biff
"There are only two lasting bequests we can give our children - one is roots, and the other, wings." -- Hodding S. Carter

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
Biff83
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 07 Feb 2014, 15:30

GREAT WORK BIFF AND TESSA
Palermo, Matrimoni in Italia, 1820-1895 Palermo, Italy, Marriages, 1820-1895
about Francesco Magliolo
Name:Francesco Magliolo
Spouse:Anna Visconti
Marriage Date:9 giu 1884 (9 Jun 1884)
Marriage Place:2, Palermo
Father Name:Tommaso Magliolo
Mother Name:Anna uff Ferro
Volume:7
Number:312
Kids where probably born in Palermo
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Postby WiltonHudgens » 15 Feb 2014, 00:24

Wow...Thank you for all the help, everyone! I appreciate it. I did see that on Thomas Magliolo's ship manifest, he said that he came from Palermo/Terrasini and Girgenti. I'm just going out on a limb but...I figure when people from other countries get asked, "Where did you come from?"....they usually think, "Well...I was just living in this place..."...so, that's why they said Palermo or Terrasini a lot of times. I've heard friends of mine from Iraq say the same kind of thing. It looks like Tommaso should be the first born but, I was under the impression that Salvatore Magliolo was born in 1884. Maybe they were twins. The order was definitely Tommaso first and then, Salvatore...by the old name rule...Francesco Magliolo's father was Tomasso and, Anna Maria Visconti's father was Salvatore.

Side note: There were another Visconti couple living in Memphis, TN at the same time as Salvatore Magliolo. They were from Montecastelli and Pacetto in Italy. They were married in Allesandria, Italy.
WiltonHudgens

Postby Marcello_DAleo » 21 Feb 2014, 16:45

Children of Francesco Magliolo and Anna Visconti:

Anna, born in Palermo on 27 Feb 1877 (vol.118 n. 642)
Caterina, born in Palermo on 31 Mar 1879 (vol. 140 n. 973)
Tommaso, born in Palermo on 2 Jul 1882 (vol. 174 n. 2203)
Salvatore, born in Palermo on 29 Jan 1884 (vol. 194 n. 40)

If you want the complete family tree, please write me privately.
Visit my web site!
Southern Italy Genealogical Center
http://www.sicilygenealogy.com/
Marcello_DAleo
Elite
Elite

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship