Guatieri Family History

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sidtindall
Rookie
Rookie

Guatieri Family History

Post by sidtindall »

I am trying to find some history on Michael Guatieri(my great-grandfather) who emigrated to the UK in the 1890's. He came from Gorizia and thats about all I know.In the 1901 UK census he was recorded as being 32 years old and living in Bristol. I believe he originally lived in London. If anybody can help I would greatly appeciste it.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Guatieri Family History

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
I can see your ancestor was born around 1858-1859. You can start asking the birth certificate of Michael (I guess Michele) Guatieri to civil records office of Gorizia (are you sure he was from Gorizia, or was he from a village in Gorizia area?)

This is the list of comunes belonging to Gorizia province

http://www.comuni-italiani.it/031/comuni.html

This is Gorizia State Archive, where you may find civil record of all comunes of Gorizia province

http://wwwdb.archivi.beniculturali.it/S ... GORIZIA%22

if you are sure he was born in Gorizia, contact Gorizia civil records office

Municipio
Ufficio Anagrafe
Piazza del Municipio, 1
34170 Gorizia (GO)

urp@comune.gorizia.it

if you are not able to write italian, this is a web site that helps you to write the request

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

I hope it helps, bye ricbru
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

sidtindall wrote:I am trying to find some history on Michael Guatieri(my great-grandfather) who emigrated to the UK in the 1890's. He came from Gorizia and thats about all I know.In the 1901 UK census he was recorded as being 32 years old and living in Bristol. I believe he originally lived in London. If anybody can help I would greatly appeciste it.
Hi, are an Michael(Michele )Gualtieri born in 1869 in 1901 census.. is possible that the just surname is Gualtieri?
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
sidtindall
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sidtindall »

It appears after contacting the Gorizia Council, that my family does not originate from this area. The only other place they could of come from would be the Campobasso area but I do not have anything more specific. Maybe someone out there may have some knowledge of this area and point me in the right direction.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I' live in Campobasso area( Molise region).. and here are:
- Guatieri (now Isernia province, but in the past all area was Campobasso province only)
-and Gualtieri (all Molise)
and some data:

Births Dec 1900
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guatieri Agostino Bristol 6a 70

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Mar 1902

Guatieri Rosa Bristol 6a 78

Births Jun 1903

Guatieri Catarina Diflorio Southwark 1d 120

Births Jun 1905

Guatieri Luigi Bristol 6a 82

Births Mar 1907

Guatieri Caroline Maud Bristol 6a 71

Births Sep 1908

Guatieri Ellen Martha Bristol 6a 71
-------
sound just some first name?
regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
sidtindall
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sidtindall »

Thanks, . Luigi Guatieri born in June 1905 is my grandfather. The other names are children of Michele Guatieri and Ellen Taylor. I have another two children being born in London UK in 1890. One was Angelo and one was Maria. Angelo was born and died in 1890 and Maria was born late in 1890 and died in 1893. They were also children of my great grandfather but to a woman named Alexander (maiden name Porella)Guatieri. I don't know what happened to Alexander but I only have records of my grandfather Luigis brothers and sisters. Regards Lynne

The first two children, Angelo and Maria were born in St george, Camberwell, County of London when Michele was living at 7 Southampton Street, Camberwell and he was registered as occupation fruiterer.
sidtindall
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sidtindall »

:P After some more research it seems that my great grandfather came from a wealthy family in Florence. He was holidaying in the UK in the late 1880s when he decided to stay. He was supposed to be travelling with a brother who may have also stayed in the UK.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

sidtindall wrote::P After some more research it seems that my great grandfather came from a wealthy family in Florence. He was holidaying in the UK in the late 1880s when he decided to stay. He was supposed to be travelling with a brother who may have also stayed in the UK.
: :D I'm happy for your search progress..!
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
sidtindall
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sidtindall »

Well I haven't been able to actually locate the origin of the Guatieri name, or the birth place of my great grandfather. I have had a message from one person who has told me that there were'nt any Guatieri's in Florence and that the name may have been Gualtieri and has been altered over the years. I would still like to find the birth place of Michelle whether it be Guatieri or Gualtieri and any ancestors he may have had. I have also been told that the Alexander (or Angela) Porella was Spanish not Italian, and they actually met in London whilst studying in 1885. I hope someone out there may have some more info for me. Thanks Sidtindall
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

most probable your ancestors came from Molise region.. for an good search is necessary to descover almost father first name, or mother surname.. Michele seems born abt in 1869; the other names in my previous posting really could be original from molise region( Isernia or Campobasso area), regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi: is possible that ,in Bristol, Michele had an sister Concetta called? please let me know...suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
sidtindall
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sidtindall »

I will try and find out if he had a sister Concetta. Was she married or was she single and still a Guatieri? Michele's actual birthdate was 6th June 1868, but I have no idea what his parents names were.Thank you for your help.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I found in 1901 that in Bristol living also Auguste (Augusto) Guatieri, mistaken Guadieri, born in 1828 musician, living with the daughter Concetta married to Angelantonio FUNDA...no data about italian birthplace... but from an first search, this Guatieri surname really existin, also in Italy as you know, well about Guatieri emigrated in UK, also if the surname are mistaken on ancestry, well, this people came from ROMA, PISTOIA(probable Pescia town in Pistoia province), NAPOLI and " Pians Dell Agottie, Italy"(???mistaken)..
Why you think that your Michael could be born in Campobasso province?regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I think that this Auguste Guatieri could be the grandfather of Augustine Guatieri born in Bristol in 1900:

Name: Augustine Guadieri
Estimated birth year: abt 1828 Relation: Father-in-law
Household: View other family members
Where born: Italy

Civil parish: Bristol
Ecclesiatical parish: St James
County/Island: Gloucestershire

Name: Guatieri, Agostino
Record Type: Births
Quarter: December
Year: 1900
District: Bristol
County: Avon Gloucestershire
Volume: 6a
Page: 70 (click to see others on page)
personally I think that your ancestor came from Roma area...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
sidtindall
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sidtindall »

The only reason I thought they were from that region was that there seemed to be alot of them still living there. As I said in the first place we did not know the history of where Michael cam from but I agree with you in the fact that this Augustine may well be Michelle's father. Why do you think they may have come from the Roma area?