Dual citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Dual citizenship

Postby amelia » 17 Apr 2014, 14:52

Can I and my children apply for duel citizenship.

I live in Australia but was born in Italy. Both my parents were born in Italy. I never formally became an Australian citizen but my father did many years ago so i automatically became an Australian citizen.
Many years ago I went to the Italian consulate to apply for a dual citizenship and was told that I couldn't get one. My younger sister who was born in Australia however, apparently could get a dual citizenship. The logic still escapes me but have regulations changed and would i now be able to get one? I guess it is my way of still maintaining my heritage as well as passing it down to my kids.
amelia

Re: Dual citizenship

Postby jennabet » 17 Apr 2014, 15:15

Because you were also born in Italy, if you were still a minor when your father naturalized, you were naturalized along with him and lost your Italian citizenship so you are not entitled to dual citizenship. If your younger sister was born in Australia BEFORE you and your father naturalized, then yes, she would be entitled to dual citizenship. For yourself, you can reclaim Italian citizenship but it would involve living legally in Italy for at least a year. However, you can't pass this down to your children if they were born during a time that you were not Italian.
jennabet
Master
Master

Postby DRuss » 25 Apr 2014, 14:35

amelia wrote:Can I and my children apply for duel citizenship.

I live in Australia but was born in Italy. Both my parents were born in Italy. I never formally became an Australian citizen but my father did many years ago so i automatically became an Australian citizen.
Many years ago I went to the Italian consulate to apply for a dual citizenship and was told that I couldn't get one. My younger sister who was born in Australia however, apparently could get a dual citizenship. The logic still escapes me but have regulations changed and would i now be able to get one? I guess it is my way of still maintaining my heritage as well as passing it down to my kids.

It depends on when your father took Australian citizenship, whether or not your mother took citizenship also, and your age on that date.

If your father naturalised after August 15, 1992, then you have a right to citizenship.

If you were born after April 27 1965, then you can get citizenship through your mother's side if she didn't naturalise.
DRuss

Postby mler » 29 Apr 2014, 19:51

Even though you lost citizenship through naturalization, you can easily reacquire it with a brief trip to Italy. You simply need to go to your consulate and complete a form stating your intention to reacquire. Then, within a year, go to your comune in Italy with the appropriate documents. After the comune confirms your residence in Italy (the home of a relative will do) your citizenship will be restored.

Most consulates have specific instructions on their websites. One of the most thorough explanations can be found on the site of the NY Consulate.
mler
Master
Master

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship