need help with info on my grandfather

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1

need help with info on my grandfather

Postby Dee » 22 Apr 2014, 06:50

My grandfather immigrated from Italy around 1910 as a teen on the ship Lombardia, departing from Naples. He may have been born around 1892 in Province Laguila Barisciano. I was told his name was Dan or Demetri Marinelli. I was told he had 2 sisters who were nuns in Italy and a brother Julius. I know he was listed in the 1930 census in Middlesex township in New Jersey. He had 3 sons--- John was born in 1925, Nicholas in 1927, and James. He was married to Angelina Cottello. I know he was deported after 1930 and have no more information concerning him. He never contacted his family. We were told he changed his name to Jean Caccone and went to Corsica. But none of that was ever verified. I don't know where to begin to get help. DEE
Dee

Re: need help with info on my grandfather

Postby johnnyonthespot » 22 Apr 2014, 14:55

If he was deported, you may be able to find records of that event (and matters leading up to the event) by filing a Freedom of Information Act request with the FBI. Their response time is usually on the order of a month or two and there is generally no cost.

See http://www.fbi.gov/foia/requesting-fbi-records. Also, http://www.fbi.gov/foia/
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship