Daughter applying in a different juristiction

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Daughter applying in a different juristiction

Postby gldmjd » 18 May 2014, 14:38

I have just been recognized in my commune di Loreto Aprutino, Pescara, Abruzzo, YAY!. I applied through the consulate in Philadelphia with my brother and 2 of 3 of my daughters. My other daughter lives in Savannah and has her appointment in July in Miami. What I understood philly would send some kind of letter to Miami stating all the documentations has been submitted. Now Miami is saying she needs all new original documentation. Since I am now recognized couldn't my daughter just submit my Italian birth certificate and then her information?
Has anyone ever bypassed the consulates and applied directly to the comune?
gldmjd

Re: Daughter applying in a different juristiction

Postby johnnyonthespot » 18 May 2014, 14:50

Personally, I would try the easiest route first. And, the easiest route is to simply register your daughter's birth with the Philadelphia consulate just as you would for a newborn. This is what I did for my then 22 year-old son at the NYC consulate several years ago; the entire process took less than a week to complete.

Start with this form http://www.consfiladelfia.esteri.it/NR/ ... alform.pdf and include a copy of your daughter's certified/translated/apostiled birth certificate as well as a copy of your Italian passport. The worst that can happen is Philadelphia will return the application with a "cannot do this" cover letter.

By the way, when I submitted my own application at NYC I was told that my son would have to submit his own full application after mine was (presumably) approved. No one advised me of the other option, but it went through without any problems at all and my son's recognition letter arrived the same week I mailed in the form and documents as above.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby gldmjd » 18 May 2014, 14:59

Carmine,
Thank you for the quick response. I am glad you had success with your son. Do you think it matters that my daughter is in a different jurisdiction?
gldmjd

Postby johnnyonthespot » 18 May 2014, 15:28

I have read of other cases where the jurisdictions were different and, besides, the form doesn't ask for the child's address. :)

Like I said, what's the worst that can happen?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 19 May 2014, 12:18

I think it would matter if your daughter is married and has her own descendants to include with the paperwork. If she were single, it would be like registering a minor child except that she's an adult and the consulate made an exception for her age.
jennabet
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 19 May 2014, 14:01

The form does not require the "child's" address nor marital status nor motherhood status.

I would try registering the daughter's birth as outlined above. If it is approved, the daughter will be recognized as an Italian citizen, and will then be free to register her own marriage and the birth of her own children (if applicable).

Truly, it costs nothing to find out. The daughter's certified/translated/apostiled birth certificate must be obtained regardless. The only additional cost is that of mailing a #10 business envelope to the consulate; within a few weeks either the birth will be properly registered and citizenship recognized, or the consulate's Stato Civile office will return the request complete with the birth certificate which your daughter can then use as she desires.
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby gldmjd » 19 May 2014, 19:52

Carmine, would you mind sharing the form you submitted for your son. I looked at the form and it seems a little confusing to me. If you don't want to it is fine, but thought if I saw one it might be easier. By the way she is will have 3 children to register, but I think that can wait if she just wants to do it herself for now and then them at a later date.
gldmjd

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship