Medical checks leaving America???

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Medical checks leaving America???

Postby nrepole » 24 May 2014, 06:40

Hi all
I know that Medical inspections were carried out on all those arriving in America during the peak period of migration. What I would like to know is: Were the returning Italians who left America in the early 1900s also subjected to these same inspections? Were only healthy people allowed to board ships?
The reason I ask is that I have a relative who arrived home in Italy in 1906/07 and died shortly after. I am wondering if he left America with an illness OR contracted the illness onboard the ship OR got sick in his hometown after his arrival ???

Nick
Surnames: Repole, Pinto, Patrissi, Schettino, Sisti, Melli, Del Gaudio, Garofano, Gambuti, Parente
nrepole
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Medical checks leaving America???

Postby johnnyonthespot » 24 May 2014, 11:55

How old was he? Unless quite young, there are any number of reasons he may have died having nothing to do with communicable illness: heart attack, cancer, stroke, even kidney stones (really!). All were leading killers of middle-aged men and women.

Just to give you an idea, my grandfather - already residing in the US for 35 years - entered the hospital with a sudden racking cough in 1945 and died there just a few weeks later from widespread lung cancer. Until the 1960's, cancer was often diagnosed only weeks or at most a few months before death.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby nrepole » 24 May 2014, 13:50

Hi johnnyonthespot

My relative was 30 years of age.
I understand your point regarding the hidden illnesses etc but I guess I just wanted to know if medical checks were as important to carry out when people were leaving America. I just want to rule out the possibility that he travelled home with an illness picked up in the US.

Regards
Nick
Surnames: Repole, Pinto, Patrissi, Schettino, Sisti, Melli, Del Gaudio, Garofano, Gambuti, Parente
nrepole
Rookie
Rookie

Postby johnnyonthespot » 24 May 2014, 14:02

I have never heard of medical checks for departing passengers other than the possibility that someone who appeared to be in obvious ill health might not have been permitted to board.

I suppose it is possible, but I have never heard of it before.

[edit]

Typhoid fever was a major killer in the 1906'ish era as was Whooping cough and even the "plague". There are so many possibilities; it is unfortunate that Italian death acts do not include information regarding cause of death.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby nrepole » 24 May 2014, 14:28

I guess it is hard to find out every specific detail.
But thanks so much for your help and thoughts.

Nick
nrepole
Rookie
Rookie

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship