Document Gathering

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Document Gathering

Postby weixiehong » 20 Jun 2014, 14:22

Hi all,

Thanks to many of you on this forum I've been able to verify 100% that I am in fact entitled to dual citizenship. So I've entered the document-gathering phase :)

Now there are a lot of documents with all the births, marriages, divorces and deaths in my family going back to my great-grandfather, and the problem I've come up against is not locating where to get the documents (I know all the dates and places) but it's getting towns to actually let me get records when they are not for me.

I guess it makes sense - that some random person can't get another person's birth certificate, but how do you guys get around this? I don't mind paying someone or a service, but I'd like to do it myself to save money since requesting and getting docs seems so simple.

I can always ask my mother and grandmother to help out, but I really don't want to bother them with sending letters, contacting county clerks etc...

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!
weixiehong
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Document Gathering

Postby johnnyonthespot » 20 Jun 2014, 15:06

A great deal depends upon the source of the records you are seeking. For example, New York is notoriously difficult when it comes to any birth record other than your own and is just as tough with regards to marriage and death certificates.

So, from what state(s) do your required documents originate?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby weixiehong » 20 Jun 2014, 15:28

Most are from NY unfortunately :(

Majority are from White Plains, Yonkers, and some in Dutchess (Poughkeepsie) and Putnam county (Carmel).

One in Stamford, CT - this is the one that perplexed me becasue I contacted the town clerk and she said anything over 100 years (need great-grandmother's birth cert from 1905) was unavailable to anyone other than a licensed genealogist and she told me to conact one.

So I contacted one and she said it was the other way around - that anything over 100 years is open to the public.

So trying to figure if state rules vs. town rules might contradict one another :)
weixiehong
Rookie
Rookie

Postby johnnyonthespot » 20 Jun 2014, 15:55

In Connecticut, it is generally faster, easier, and less expensive to work directly with the clerk's office of the town/city where the event occurred. Worst case, you can deal directly with the state department of health - http://www.ct.gov/dph/cwp/view.asp?a=31 ... av=|46940| - either way, you should not have any issues.

New York, on the other hand... Well, this is going to be extremely messy and by the time you are done you will wish you had never set off on this path at all. The rules are strict and strictly enforced (see https://www.health.ny.gov/vital_records/); many people have had no choice but to obtain court orders to have records released. There is no point in trying to work with local registrar offices as they follow the state rules to the letter. It is good that your mother and grandmother are still living as they will have easy access under NY rules to the very same records that will be denied if you apply for them in your own name. Frankly, if either is in failing health, enlist their aid now while you still can.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby weixiehong » 20 Jun 2014, 16:15

Thanks Carmine. I'll just have to tell them that I can't do it without their help and I'll fill out all the papers for them. Thanks for the advice as always!
weixiehong
Rookie
Rookie

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship