Steamers from Genoa in late XIX

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
esantin
Rookie
Rookie

Steamers from Genoa in late XIX

Postby esantin » 26 Jul 2014, 22:05

Hi,

I'm not sure here is the right place to put this question, but let's try.

I'd like to know if someone knows where I may find old (digitized) newspapers, from XIX century, with information of the steamers that departed from Genoa port to South America. Specifically, I'm interested in the departures of year 1884 (December).

I know, and already found, several newspapers with departures/arrivals of steamers from/to Brazilian ports (e.g. Rio de Janeiro port), which are digitized and freely available to the general public in the website of the Brazil's National Library. One example is the following:

Is there something similar in Italy's libraries? I tried to search through Google engine, found some old newspapers, but none of them had these steamers information.

Maybe Genoa port has old records available to the public via the Web, but I wasn't able to find.

If someone has an advice, I'd be extremely happy.

Regards,
Edinei

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Steamers from Genoa in late XIX

Postby PeterTimber » 20 Aug 2014, 06:37

I hardly think your effort is going to pay off since I recall that many years ago I went thru that similar research from Genoa and the results were mostly negative. I suppose that you do not know Spanish language but most of the countries to which Italians immigrated have records some better than others but can be researched with effort.
~Peter~

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Steamers from Genoa in late XIX

Postby Tessa78 » 21 Aug 2014, 02:01

The Immigrant Ship Transcribers Guild may be of some help.
Here is the link. You may need to spend some time getting familiar with their site.
http://www.immigrantships.net/

For instance, when I search "Genoa Departures" in their search box, here is what appears...
Many of the dates are mid 19th Century, and many of the vessels are Barks and Brigs...
http://search.freefind.com/find.html?id ... +departure

T.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”