Any other Naturalization docs needed?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
weixiehong
Rookie
Rookie

Any other Naturalization docs needed?

Postby weixiehong » 06 Aug 2014, 08:48

Hi all,

I apologize in advance if this has been asked many times before...

I have received my great-grandfather's Petition for Naturalization and the cover letter that goes along with it from the county where he was naturalized.

Do I need any further documents regarding his naturalization for my eventual consulate appointment?

For instance, do I need the actual Certificate for Naturalization from the USCIS?

Thanks for any info.

carubia
Master
Master

Re: Any other Naturalization docs needed?

Postby carubia » 06 Aug 2014, 10:41

I already responded to your identical question on the Italian Citizenship Message Board.

weixiehong
Rookie
Rookie

Postby weixiehong » 06 Aug 2014, 11:44

Yes. Thanks a lot :)

jennabet
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 06 Aug 2014, 12:33

Hi weixiehong, since you inquired at this site, you should receive an answer at this site without having to go to another site. Solely the Petition for Naturalization with cover letter does not prove or disprove the naturalization took place. In order to prove that it did, you would also need the Oath of Allegiance if it was completed. On my grand-father's naturalization documents, the Oath of Allegiance proving his naturalization was on page three of the naturalization package.

However, if you come up empty and there is no Oath of Allegiance from USCIS, you can submit the Petition and cover letter but most consulates would require you to go a step further and provide additional evidence that naturalization did not take place, such as census information and no record letters from state, county and/or local courts. Good luck.

weixiehong
Rookie
Rookie

Postby weixiehong » 06 Aug 2014, 13:01

Thanks Jennabet. Yes. The section that says "Oath of Allegiance" is on page 2

Everyone in this "community" at this site and others are really great. Much appreciated

jennabet
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 06 Aug 2014, 13:08

Prego.

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 06 Aug 2014, 14:12

My grandfather's NARA Petition includes the actual date of naturalization, and this was accepted in NY as proof of naturalization. This was quite a few years ago, though, and today NY asks for Naturalization Certificate as well. Other consulates may do so as well.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”