Spelling Mistakes on Documents

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
James Graham
Veteran
Veteran

Spelling Mistakes on Documents

Postby James Graham » 19 Aug 2014, 22:26

How critical are they?
For instance my mother's name is Maria but Mary was used everyday. This transferred on to her marriage certificate. Will this be a deal breaker for the consulate? I have notified the city of this mistake but the hoops to jump through are numerous. I'd rather not amend the records if not needed.

Jim

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Spelling Mistakes on Documents

Postby PeterTimber » 20 Aug 2014, 01:57

Don't create a doubt just use Maria where first name is required and let her marriage certificate alone and DON"T CALL ATTENTION TO THIS....If you do you may open a can of worms...If it is a problem they will let you know but they may just shrug off the apparent translation of maria to Mary since it shows up on an American document.
~Peter~

James Graham
Veteran
Veteran

Postby James Graham » 23 Aug 2014, 00:10

Thanks Peter.
I aslo noticed my mom's name on my birth certificate as Mari. I never noticed until I went through all these documents with a fine toothed comb.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 23 Aug 2014, 03:42

human are we?
~Peter~

James Graham
Veteran
Veteran

Postby James Graham » 23 Aug 2014, 14:41

Just for the heck of it, yesterday, I called a couple of lawyers to see if one could have a court document to state my mom's name as Maria a.k.a. Mary, Mari.
I was directed to the local court house. With time to spare, I asked a few people there what they thought. One brought me to the legal library. We looked around for cases in Connecticut to see if this has been done. Nothing! Except if you commit a crime, then they will attach your a.k.a. to every piece of paper you have.
Maybe I should see if my mom committed any crimes?!

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 23 Aug 2014, 14:50

Adminsitration can be more lethal than a speeding bullet............Just keep your mouth shut and your wallet open and buy yourself a beer. 99% of attorneys give the rest a bad name
~Peter~

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”