Naturalization Question

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
RobertRezni

Naturalization Question

Postby RobertRezni » 02 Dec 2014, 19:21

Hi,

I am gathering all the documents to be recognized as an Italian citizen. Just waiting for my grandfather's birth certificate to arrive.
My line will be my grandfather, mother and myself. I just made it too as my mom was born Dec. 31, 1947. And my grandfather was naturalized two weeks after her birth.

One lingering question: my mom never married my father. Since it goes through my mother's line, will that be a concern?

Thanks,
Bob

TerraLavoro
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Naturalization Question

Postby TerraLavoro » 03 Dec 2014, 22:26

It might be a concern, but it will depend on which consulate that you are applying to.

Technically, your Father is not in your "Italian line" as far as your Italian citizenship is concerned.
Is his name on on your birth cert.? If so, is his name listed in exactly the same form on his birth cert.?

I will share that if you are applying in Boston, the official there is a bit of a stickler when it comes to paternity in the absence of a marriage license/certificate. In Los Angeles, you might not even be asked for any of your "non-line" ancestors documents.

So.....depends on the consulate. Have you asked the appropriate consulate?
TerraLavoro

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”